• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apex PH Probe

well my tank isn't dead as far as I could tell this morning but I think my probe my be off. has anyone seen a probe fail so quickly?

i'm going to try to re-calibrate, I assume my tank isn't an acid as i saw fish swimming when I left for work.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One thing with pH probes that a bunch of people don't realize is that they can not be totally submerged. If you have been keeping it submerged, it's toast.

If not, the first thing I'd do is soak it in vinegar overnight. Then rinse it off and recalibrate with pH 7 and pH 10 buffers. See if that helps.

How old is the probe?

I did not know that but lucky I rigged a probe holder, it's not pretty but it keeps it about 1.5 inches in the water.

hmm no clue how old it is, maybe 2-3 years. Usually it slowly goes out of wack and I re-calibrate and it's great for another year, this time it just went. I have the calibration fluid on order so i'll give it a soak and then re-calibrate and update.

I'm assuming if the PH was actually in the 5's everything would be dead right?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Everything dead! Because of the buffering capability of the saltwater, it could never ever get that low, short of someone dumping large volumes of strong acids into your tank. I can't see a tank getting below 7.5, and that's under the worst condition of very high CO2 levels.....the high CO2 (displacing the oxygen) would probably kill your fish, not the pH.

Last edited: