• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

April 2008 meeting

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Member's only are permitted to register through March 31. After that we'll open it up to the general public.

Hi all! :D

I am really pleased to host the April meeting and really, really looking forward to showing my tank to folks who don't mutter comments about me being nuts under their breath after looking at the level of insanity this hobby has brought me to.

... So no muttering please! I get self conscious! ::)

Anyway, please remember this location is my office shop. It's more of a shop than an office so, if it's cool outside, it'll be cool inside, bring a light jacket if your cool blooded, you may want to bring a chair as well. The good news is, being a shop, it's a very wet friendly location so if you want to swap stuff or frag or what ever, the place is pretty much bullet proof 8)

Looking forward to meeting many of you for the first time and seeing faces of those I've traded with before again.

I'll have some beer, hot dogs and hamburgers for eats so side dishes, chips, soda, more beer are good things if you can bring stuff.

For those who know the area, I am in Bloomingdale right on Hamburg Turnpike, directly across from the Quick Check store. Since it's not a house, I'll post a picture of the front of my building soon so you can know when you're here. Directions will be posted later too.

See ya soon

Happy Reefing! ;D

tunicate

I think the details of the meeting are still in the planing phase, so I am not sure of the activities planned.

I am a drilling contractor, providing environmental drilling services, with a specialty towards subsurface remediation of groundwater contamination by the injection of various materials to either chemically oxidize or manipulate the existing biological critters (both aerobic and anaerobic)to metabolize what ever pollutants are in their environment.

... It's not unlike utilizing Ozone or an RDSB in a marine system, so it's close to home for me :D

Anyway, it's a pretty rugged shop facility with some office facilities, and what my guys call my "lab", where I keep all my fish stuff, fix equipment and work on my own projects, that's where we'll be able to set up the bulk of the meeting as it's a very clean but wet friendly area. We do our best to keep the shop area clean but there's an occasional clod of dirt here and there pretty much always. If it's nice out and we can open up the shop doors to the outside, that space is huge! It would be like an indoor picnic then :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
29 folks planning on attending. That is just about half of the cap. Make sure you register if you are coming. With space being tight, walk ins are REALLY discouraged. You do not need to be a member (or even a forum user) to register. You just need to sign up at the RSVP link above.

Still lots of room!

Here are some random pics of the reef

120Feb20081221.jpg

120March2008005.jpg

120Feb2008clams02.jpg

120Feb2008lookdownfront02.jpg

120Feb2008end.jpg

I'll post a detailed set of directions.

If you are using MapQuest or Google, it some times locates 129 Main St. right across from the Post Office. I am 129 Hamburg Turnpike, just down the road across from the Quick Check.

Hope to see ya there :)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Meetings are great social events which aren't restricted to club members or forum users - quite the contrary. We encourage spouses, significant others, friends and children to attend. We generally get a large turnout, frequently in the 70 to 100 people range.

The agenda of the meeting is usually the same: They begin around 1pm with people gathering, eating, drinking and looking at the hosts tank and system. This lasts for a few hours. During this time raffle tickets are sold for the frags that will be raffled off later in the day. We usually raffle off some where in the area of 18 to 24 frags (some months a few more, some a few less). This is also the time where you get to put faces to screen names and realize that there are ton of people equally obsessed as you are!

If we have a speaker or are doing a demo that month, it usually kicks off sometime around 2:30 or 3. Around 4, Phyl will give an update about the club and some of the intiatives we are undertaking. This is also the time for open discussion regarding the club. After that is done Phyl will begin calling raffle numbers.

After the raffles, the meeting is "officially" over and it starts to thin out. We shoot for being done by 5 but sometimes go a little long.

We ask that each attendee bring some type of food or drink to help the host out. Any sort of covered dish, appetizer or dessert is good. When in doubt beer is always good! The only other thing we aks is that you use the RSVP thread in the meeting announcement to register so that the host has an idea of how many people are attending. While walk ups are welcome, registration is really appreciated.

Is the meeting on Saturday or Sunday. I keep reading that it's Saturday in the RSVP but sunday in the paragraph above.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The meeting is most definitely on Sunday. I've fixed the RSVP to reflect accordingly.

To add if you RSVP the organizers (that would be our superb officers) also prep cool little name tags so you can associate the username to the person's real name. This makes conversation a lot easier since you don't have to go walk around yelling "Hey Lord Viper".... :)

malulu

NJRC Member
can someone help to update the RSVP thread with the meeting address, i don't see it there...?
thx

The site address is:

129 Hamburg Tpk
Bloomingdale 07403

From Route 287 use EXIT 53

From both North & South Rt 287, when you reach the bottom of the ramp, turn left, onto Hamburg Tpk. Go by the enterance to the quary continue across the small bridge into Bloomingdale. Hamburg Tpk is now called Main Street in the "downtown" section. Go through the traffic light by the Lukoil. Past the Post Office. At the end of Main St. there's a brick building under construction, stay right to keep on Hamburg Tpk (if you go left you'll stay on Main St - DON'T DO THAT). Stay on Hamburg Tpk (DO NOT TURN right UP THE HILL ONTO Glennwild Ave). In a little over 1/4 mile pass the Fireman's Hall & Municipal Building (on left), you'll then pass Second St & First St. SLOW DOWN! There is a Quick Check on the right. The gate to my office is directly across the street to your left. This all happens in about 2 miles or so from Rt 287.

You can park head in along the fence from the gate, to the right up to the parked moving van. Or pull in the gate and park anywhere in the yard. I'll post signs reading "NJRC MEETING".

The office number is 973-492-1645 should you get missplaced ;)

See ya there :D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My plan was to PM/email it to the attendees so that we didn't end up with a lot of overage, since Bax wants to keep this meeting under 60 people... :) Please make sure you're RSVPd for this meeting, and lets not show up unless you're on the list!