• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aptasia?

Hey all... I got this along time ago and was sold to me as a Curly Que Anenome... it was fine for about 6 mos plus.. eating 1/4 silversides then 1/2 ... but then it moved to where you see it now and within a month it exploded... now there are like 6 of them all in the same area... i am feeding them silversides but wondering if these are just big Aptasia?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20170109_161005.jpg
    20170109_161005.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 28

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm pretty sure you were lied to, they look like aptasia to me

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's still an anemone, they'll eat the same thing any other nem would. Wait for a second opinion from someone else on here before taking a positive Id, I'm not 100% as I haven't dealt with them much.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
kill em with Kalk paste...just shove a syringe into their mouths and blast em

I got lucky with a Copper banded butterfly fish. In 1 week the 6-8 heads I saw were gone and I haven't seen any since. They are very hit or miss thou

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Okay... i guess i can look up how to make Kalk..?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mix the kalkwasser w water till it looks like thick toothpaste. Put some into a syringe (like the salifert mag test kit syringe with the pink tip) and just shove into their mouth pump. Don't need to make a ton of the mix, just enough to fill the syringe

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Peppermint Shrimp are a crap shoot. There is a specific species of peppermint shrimp that eat aptasia, but making sure you get the correct species is very difficult.
I agree, they r a crap shoot. I tried pep shrimps and they wound up tearing up an acan. I dont this it was a true peppermint shrimp though.

You could try a file fish

I would strongly recommend Aptasia X. I have had great success with this product without risk of throwing off tank parameters. Personally had a bad experience with pickling lime throwing my tank off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IME the key to killing Aiptasia properly is to put the needle close to the mouth but do not touch it. The stingers will start closing around the needle in a stinging/feeding response. This is when you hit the plunger on the needle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk