• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquapod 24g

So it has been a year since I started this tank and thought I would finally share what I got. Starting with the light I just ordered an LED hood from nanotoners.com and should have it around 2-3 weeks, can't wait to see it. For fish I have a pair of False Percs. The female looks almost exactly like an Onyx True Perc for some reason. A yellow watchman goby and an Atlantic Pygmy Churib. For corals I have a very bright pink and green watermelon chalic, orange zoo, purple people eater zoo, a green and purplish acan, some palys that stay on their frag off in the sand so they don't take over the tank, and brain. I'm still having a tough time with all the hair algae. The last thing that I have not tried for it is the mag. spike to 1600. Have the stuff for it just haven't had the time. I will post some picture once I get the new lights if you guys don't judge all the hair algae :-\

Daggnabit said:
So it has been a year since I started this tank and thought I would finally share what I got. Starting with the light I just ordered an LED hood from nanotoners.com and should have it around 2-3 weeks, can't wait to see it. For fish I have a pair of False Percs. The female looks almost exactly like an Onyx True Perc for some reason. A yellow watchman goby and an Atlantic Pygmy Churib. For corals I have a very bright pink and green watermelon chalic, orange zoo, purple people eater zoo, a green and purplish acan, some palys that stay on their frag off in the sand so they don't take over the tank, and brain. I'm still having a tough time with all the hair algae. The last thing that I have not tried for it is the mag. spike to 1600. Have the stuff for it just haven't had the time. I will post some picture once I get the new lights if you guys don't judge all the hair algae :-\

Try picking off as much hair algae as possible, don't scrub it because that will spread the spores, but instead try to pick it off the rocks in bunches like you would a ball of lint or a piece of dog hair.

I'm battling hair algae also, but I recently increased my flow and it seems to have helped keep it at bay for now.

I look forward to seeing a picture of your tank I'm sure it is awesome!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Brandon makes a good point, do you have any other powerheads in there or just the return pump? Did you change anything in the back of the tank?

I have a Koraline Mini and the only thing I have in the back is some lr rubble and chaeto. I was thinking of getting another small LED to get more light to the chaeto so it can photosynthesize better. You also reminded me that my little pump could use another cleaning, maybe that will help. Thanks for the ideas.

You think another power head is needed in the tank? When I read about coral health and it states that this particular coral needs moderate or high flow it doesn't really give me something to reference it to. ??? I always wonder if it is too much or too little.

Flow definitely helped my hair algae situation, but my tangs did alot of the work :p I also had a problem with my pygmy angel nipping my lps, zoos, and sometimes duncans. All of my zoos were really stressed, and the acans were receding from the attack. Just keep your eye on him, it took mine about 8 months to start.

He can have as many tangs as he wants - as long as it's this species:

tang-orange.jpg

I used to drink that.... I have since lost a lot of hair algae, I know some of you guys don't like emeralds but mine goes to town on anything that is fuzzy and green. My Churb is helping out too but it like the mysis that I feed more but it still picks at the rock. The Pygmy Angle has not touch a coral ever. My female clown bothers my brain at the bottom more than anything. I have tried turbo snails in the tank in the past but haven't been able to keep them for long. I think it might be due to the temp being too high. It stays at 84 but I'm installing my LED hood tomorrow and it has better fans on it. I hope it will get the temp around 78. I'm also going to be buying a the next size up power head for the SPS that I have since added to the tank, if this is a bad idea please let me know.

So my LEDs finally came in yesterday and I got them installed. It was a fun little project, it didn't com with instructions and I have zero experience with lighting. Now I just have to get the corals used to the bright light and post some pictures.

Here are some pictures of my tank. I just cleaned out the back chambers so things are a little "dusty". I didn't have time to take picture after using the turkey baster and water change to wait for everything to settle again.

The new LEDs
IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

A really bad picture of the Watermelon Chalice, couldn't get it to come out right.
IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Looks great, will be interested to see how everything (especially the SPS) do under the LEDs.

Nice upgrade will be interested to see how it works out. I always hated my PC lighting in my AP. LEDs might make me drag it out of the basement. :)

I thought I started to see some bleaching on the green slimer, I moved it down just in case. Both the chalices that I have are up high and seem to love it. I'm almost certain that the watermelon chalice has grown a little with the new lights. It is also my favorite coral at the moment and I could be seeing things  ;D.  I will keep this threat updated on how everything is going. And thank you for the compliments.

The female clown is the one that I still don't know if it is a true or false perc. I know the male is a false and I'm almost certain that the female is also a false but the coloring is confusing me. She looks like an Onyx perc with the black body and orange belly.