• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium Center - Blackwood

The Aquarium Center in Blackwood, has the best/nicest inventory I've ever seen there. Tanks are filled with ORA coral items and a lot of nice fish, multiple wrasse, i.e. Labouts, Blue Star, Leopards, etc. Definitely worth the trip.

Dominic has definitely taken the time recently to stock the tanks! He's got some nice pieces, though many of the lesser demand or quality pieces still seem a bit high.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have to agree. Over the past 6 months or so, maybe longer, they've been getting better quality fish/corals overall. And their tanks have looked much cleaner and brighter (frag tanks got all new LED's).

Not only that, they've become authorized dealers for both EcoTech and Neptune... so add that to the Tunze stuff they already had and you have a decent selection of equipment to pick from.

I noticed they have run a couple of TV ads on PHL17 lately, maybe it would be a good time to hit them up for a sponsorship. This is where the recent salt GB might be a good incentive for them.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think Don and some others have tried to get them to sponsor before but they weren't very interested from what I understand. Who knows though, with the salt buy info maybe we could change their minds?

I think Don and some others have tried to get them to sponsor before but they weren't very interested from what I understand. Who knows though, with the salt buy info maybe we could change their minds?

They're spending money on prime time TV ads, so they may have had a change of heart.

falconut

NJRC Member
They've always had a nice selection of fish, but the coral sections are defintely looking nicer these days.

I was there several months ago and was not impressed. Might have to go back. I thought that the fact they treat there fish water with something was kind of suspect. I noticed it when I was about to buy a blue spotted watchman. Water in the bag was as blue as the sky. They told me that I should not put water in my tank. Like I would even consider it. I did not take the fish.

I agree 100%!! I travel from Atlantic City to Aquarium Center to get my livestock. I have never purchased an unhealthy fish, fresh or salt, or coral from the store. They are also very honest in regards to compatability. They dont simply want the sale. All the staff are very well educated about there current stocking. Worth the hour drive for me once a week.

I was there several months ago and was not impressed. Might have to go back. I thought that the fact they treat there fish water with something was kind of suspect. I noticed it when I was about to buy a blue spotted watchman. Water in the bag was as blue as the sky. They told me that I should not put water in my tank. Like I would even consider it. I did not take the fish.

I wonder if they're adding some methylene blue to the shipping water.

Copper sulfate probably my dad used to get it from his lab when we sold fish. He was a lot smarter then me and with a PHD in ecology he knew what he was doing. Can be tricky to use. 100% you don't want that in your reef tank.

I have had pretty good luck with fish from there. In fact, I just got a flame hawk six weeks ago. They are crowd-pleasers.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant (ICS) using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wonder if they're adding some methylene blue to the shipping water.

That was my very first thought as well, since I had heard of it typically being used with freshwater fish. However, this is the first I’ve potentially heard it used for saltwater fish. Is it effective against crypto, like it is for freshwater ick?

falconut

NJRC Member
Not sure what they add, but the fish tanks have had the blue coloring for a long time. I've had the best luck with their fish over some other places.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have, and if I'm not mistaken Mikeb has also. I have no problem talking to them again. Does anybody have a good relation with Dominic?

I speak with him pretty much every time I am in there...pretty much weekly or atleast every two weeks. He seems to be pretty open to internet discussion...we have discussed his website and his experiences.

He may be a hard sell, I think we need to have a strategy when we approach him.

Is there an "official" who would/should be contacting them regarding this?

Last edited: