• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium Center in Blackwood, NJ

Sorry in advance if im breaking any bounds here due to the fact that i work there, but just outta couriousity, what do you guy's think as a aquarium hobbiest/reefer think of the store Aquarium Center in Clementon, NJ? All positive and Negitive feedback welcome~! Thanks alot.

John

Ive never been but I plan on going this weekend comming up. Are the prices resonable or comparable to online prices? Whats your opinion? You work there and can give some behind the scenes comments on what goes on there. 8)

The first time I went I was not too impressed. Don't know why maybe I was just in a grumpy mood, maybe my two year old was trying me and I didn't really get to take the time to look.

Having been back a few times now (I live right in Berlin) I have to say I like it. I often see things there you don't really see elsewhere (at least keeping really local). Some of the younger staff seem to have a bit of an attitude when your trying to look, and they are trying to clean a tank, but thats just kids I guess.

Corals in frag size are nice, you don't see that too often in stores, though some of them seem a bit pricey for the frag size.

All in all it is a nice store. One thing that would be sweet is having a bit more about the dry goods you carry on the web site. Even if it wasn't an ecommerce site, it would help while I am at home researching what I am looking to buy.

David

Well John u know i'm there alot! even if its just to look. been real busy here at the greenhouses so have not been going except when i have to get something. Terry and i call it out regular friday night date ;D. my kind of girl ;)

now for my take on things. coral selection has been getting alot better although the prices are a bit higher than online. usually a good selection on fish, and i only buy fish from an LFS. i like to see what i am getting there. hardgoods are ok and i support the store with most of my purchases because i believe thats the right thing to do. now thats not to say i don't buy online but if Dom can come close to the online price i buy it there.

u do need some more knowledgable people working the salt area but i just usually just wait for Pat.

it would be great if Dom would be more supportive of the hobby clubs wheter salt or fresh. it shows people he is interested in their success and not just their money.

all in all i feel fortunate to have a good LFS close by.

bob

John & Pat should know I like the place because I'm constantly there (just ask my wife LOL). Anyway here are my comments...

DRYGOODS: Pretty decent selection of SW stuff probably the best unless I want to drive an hour or more. Prices are as John said "reasonable" (or better).

CORALS: Nice selection of colonies for Softies & LPS but there's still not much for SPS fans. Frag selection has been greatly improved. Prices for most colonies are pretty good but I feel they're very high for frags.

FISH: Almost always a great selection of fish and I've had very good success with them. When comparing their fish pricing, it's somewhat varied. Prices have been steadily rising for awhile now and some species are ridiculous while others are fair and some even a deal (their ORA tank raised stuff is pretty good).

STAFF:
I agree with Bob & David here. It would be nice to see some more knowledge in the SW section and a few of the younger staff members do display a slight attitude at times but they are by no means the only LFS with these problems.

OVERALL:
I don't think we can compare online pricing to a LFS and the Aquarium Center is comparable or better to any LFS near me but it would be nice to see them have a big sale occasionally. Also they should support those that support them by getting involved with the local clubs and offering discounts to their members (maybe we just need to ask). I'm involved with a club in DE and we have almost every LFS in the area working with us. I also think their SW tank conditions have been slipping a little lately (I guess something has to give when Pat doesn't work 70+ hours a week) but still better than most others.

Don't let my constructive criticism scare you away from the Aquarium Center, they're very good and my comments are only meant to help them serve us better. IMO, there's only one other LFS that compares to the AC and the drive is probably twice as far. AC probably gets about 80% or more of all my purchases and will continue to do so unless something there changes drastically. I'm very happy with the way they treat me and always look forward to seeing John, Pat & Val when I visit the store. I'll probably stop in today.

Keep up the good work and THANKS !

Chalie

just a side note. i have spoken to Dom about the club. he was not very receptive to say the least. hopefully he will change his mind.

bob

BobCReef said:
just a side note. i have spoken to Dom about the club. he was not very receptive to say the least. hopefully he will change his mind.

Thats funny to me, because if I had any tpye of discount I would almost be forced to buy there, and not cross the bridge and go to THR, or even to Aquarium Authority.

well, i wont be able to help with his discision anymore because, i no longer work there, as i am starting a position with aquamark aquarium displays in tabrinacle, nj.

I went there today. Not bad. Looking to see if it was cheaper for salt.It wasnt. I liked the selection of dry goods and the prices werent bad. I liked the selection of freshwater fish and their saltwater was ok. Its kind of a turn off when its the middle of the day and the dead SW fish are still in their tanks. :-\They did have some cool ricordea but my tank is full. Over all Im glad I checked it out. Its not worth the drive for me :'(.(Pleasantville near AC)

I went there today. Not bad. Looking to see if it was cheaper for salt.It wasnt. I liked the selection of dry goods and the prices werent bad. I liked the selection of freshwater fish and their saltwater was ok. Its kind of a turn off when its the middle of the day and the dead SW fish are still in their tanks. :-\They did have some cool ricordea but my tank is full. Over all Im glad I checked it out. Its not worth the drive for me :'(.(Pleasantville near AC)

This is one of the better suppliers near me so I am a return customer. The selection is nice and the prices are fairly competitive. The one fault I can definately point out is some of the staff. The younger staff is very unhelpful and have unnecessary attitudes. I have often thought about not returning for that reason, however, like I said before, it is the closest decent supplier near me... that I know of.