• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquariums For Dummies - Just something to read

Hello there,

I have found that when I talk to new people about setting up a tank that responding with " Go online and read read read " just does not cut it anymore. I find that people go out and search and the first thing they come across and read is like the bible more then just a small bit of information. No matter what you do in this hobby having multiple opinions and discussions to read and follow is very important. Never read just one thing and swear by it.

On that note, here is some information that is basic enough but does have some good information for beginners.

http://coralreefdepot.blogspot.com/2006/03/idiots-guide-to-reef-aquarium.html

Just a little something I spotted in my research. Figured I would share.

*** I am in no way condoning all the information in those pages. It is up to you to decide what is best for you and your tank. If you are not sure. ASK!

I read he article, and it's not bad for something that can be read in a few minutes.

My big problem with this sort of thing, and similar to your own feelings on the subject, is that something that short can not possible convey all the information and knowledge needed to set up a successful reef tank. To have long term success you also need to know the whys behind everything.

This is why I tell people interested in reef systems to obtain several books on the subject, then read and study them. They will provide a lot more information.

This isn't too different from the person that buys a computer, and can't get it to function, so they call the support number. After a lot of back and fourth conversation, the support person tells the caller, "Put you computer back in the box and return it, and we'll give you a full refund. You are too stupid to own a computer." ;D

The same could be said of reef systems. It's very easy to make a stupid beginners mistake and find yourself with a tank of very dead fish other livestock.

The other subject I seldom see addressed is the cost of a reef system. This is an expensive hobby. If you can't afford the initial and ongoing costs involved, you should not keep a reef system.

I'd like to be driving some kind of high end super exotic sports car, but I don't have that 1/2 to 1 million in spare change for it. ;D