• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

aquascaping

Hello
anyone have any suggestions on how to custom make an arch out of reef rock? I have read about people using wire framing. Any suggestions are appreciated.:cool:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wire Framing????

You don’t want to use any metal in the tank. What I’ve seen used is plastic rod with epoxy. You drill holes in the rock with a masonary bit and install the plastic rod with some epoxy. An inexpensive rod that works well is clothes hangers. Just cut the hangers into short pieces.

Wire Framing????

You don’t want to use any metal in the tank. What I’ve seen used is plastic rod with epoxy. You drill holes in the rock with a masonary bit and install the plastic rod with some epoxy. An inexpensive rod that works well is clothes hangers. Just cut the hangers into short pieces.

+1. Wire is not a good idea.
Mike, check out our build thread for our 205G. I made two arches using branch rock similar to what Real Reef sells. I used epoxy and went slow and careful. It took me about a day to do our aquascape. I did not use rods, just epoxy, because I am clumsy and Mike doesn't let me play with the power tools ;)
Pick out your pieces of rock carefully, look for pieces that will interlock well together, and go slow.

I did arch with PVC (1/2") using couplings and angle elbows. and then used zip-ties to fix live rock to it.
So far OK, though I'm afraid zip-ties will eventually brake.
Here, during initial setup stages:
DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for reminding me about that thread David. I meant to go back and read all those articles but forgot all about them.

Drilling and using plastic/acrylic rods, along with some good old epoxy is usually what people use to make the arches. The PVC pipe isn't a bad idea either. Looks like it turned out pretty good.

R&R Aquatics

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
The arch looks great!
The only thing you might want to do is drill small holes throughout the pvc so water is able to pass through and not have waist build up inside them.