• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

aquatic obsession

debfife, i kinda figured that the tank was new.

phyl, i travel alot and go all over from allquatics>hidden reef> aquaoceans>aquarium discount>pets plus.though, each of these stores has their own perks and flaws. i know that(usually)a LFS will have higher prices than online and my first impression, I DID take this into account. and i think since i travel alot, i need to see lineatus fairies,flame wrasses,rhomboid fairies, black tangs,and gem tangs to impress me...lol(just kidding... at least about the gem). like i said, ill give them another chance.i know im a tough sell.mind you, some of my favorite stores, i actually thought sucked until i gave them second chances. based on that, id say they are a step up because im neutral with AO.

and about the friendly people there, i went in there with my wife about 7pm or so on a wed or thurs and was in there for about 10, 15 minutes max and there were no other customers, just one young looking guy. he was cleaning out a few tanks and didn't say hardly anything, i think he said "hey" because i walked in and said "hi".my wife and i looked the stock over said a few words to eachother and off we went.so, as far as friendly, not my first experience.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
You most have went on an off day for Will. I have been there a few times and he was always helpful. I would go in looking to but stuff to straighten out my tank and Will talked me out of it and advised I go another route. Most LFS would gladly make a sale and not say a word. As for pricing I think they are fair. Plus the tanks are clean and I never saw a dead or dieing fish in any of the tanks.

Mark

ReefBuilderNJ said:
and about the friendly people there, i went in there with my wife about 7pm or so on a wed or thurs and was in there for about 10, 15 minutes max and there were no other customers, just one young looking guy. he was cleaning out a few tanks and didn't say hardly anything, i think he said "hey" because i walked in and said "hi".my wife and i looked the stock over said a few words to eachother and off we went.so, as far as friendly, not my first experience.

3 months ago was just around the time I went also (my first time) and I guess my experience mirrored yours.

That stated though - in retrospect it occurred to me that AO reminds me a little of say a Nordstrom in service - that is, they leave you at peace to look around, mind your own business and will only butt-in if you ask for it. In many ways that's kinda refreshing to have.

I think that's one of the good things about A.O. is there browsing policy. If you were in there as much as me you would see at least half a dozen people a day come and go that just want to look at fish and not be asked for help. I think Will and Ethan learned that after the first few week. I'm sure it gets annoying saying "hello, can I help you?" and hearing "No, thanks .. just looking." after the 1000th time. Now they let people look without bothering them. If you ask them a question though they will answer and you might end up staying a while because the conversation is always fun in that store.

As far as the selection goes, there has been alot of fish and coral in and out of that store that you will not find in other stores. The problem is that they post the fish on here or their website and they don't stay there long. It's funny cause now I get personal phone calls when new items come in. Today I got this one from Ethan. "Hey Mike, Get your ass out of bed and get down here. We got some LE coral frags." I was there within half an hour and walked out with 4 coral frags. I can't shop at any other store. Service and Price are unbeaten.

Yup, I feel the same way.

No pressure felt as soon as you walk in. You feel at ease just "looking".

And once I decided on an item they are very pleasant and informative.

And again, although I would expect to pay more at any LFS than say an online vendor, the prices are definitely reasonable.

To date AO is my favorite store and I've been to a bunch. I've been in there once a week since i found out about it. I love that Will and Ethan aren't pushy and let you browse and are super friendly. I've also met a bunch of members from here there and had plenty of discussions with other customers. They have always asked me if i needed help but were never pushy about it(which is a big plus for me, i hate pushy sales people). They always answered my questions honestly and I appreciated that. Will actually talked me out of buying a fish because he didn't think it was ready yet (eating). How many places do that. Their prices are definitely reasonable. Actually some things are priced cheaper then on-line. I for one am sold and it's my go-to store even though i have a reef store 5 minutes from me.

Harry

LOVE AO!!! The store is clean. Livestock are healthy. Prices are fair to competitive. Customer service is unbeaten. I have shopped at many stores but now will solely be purchasing from AO. Will, the owner, is sooooo dedicated and that's why the store is what it is...amazing!

ReefBuilderNJ said:
i know im a tough sell.mind you, some of my favorite stores, i actually thought sucked until i gave them second chances.

I think this sums up your experience. They don't "tough sell."

If you are friendly and want help, you'll get plenty of both in return. ;)

I will have to try this store I knew nothing about. I am tired of the s****y customer service and rude attitude at Animals and Things. I've been shopping there for years, and I am tired of the rude baldy guy at Animals and Things!!

Their Saltwater section is pathetic!

This is just my opinion...

DiazE said:
I will have to try this store I knew nothing about. I am tired of the s****y customer service and rude attitude at Animals and Things. I've been shopping there for years, and I am tired of the rude baldy guy at Animals and Things!!

Their Saltwater section is pathetic!

This is just my opinion...

Step away from the dark side luke, let the force guide you ..... to Aquatic Obsessions 1150 St.George Ave in Avenel www.aquatic-obsessions.com

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Will and Ethan are the best and do everything that they can to help us out.

Before my birthday I went down to see what he had so that when I came back the next week for my "birthday present" I would have an idea of what he had to choose from. When I told Will my birthday was coming up he told me to email him my wishlist. I sent him a list of 6 fish, when the big day arrived and I went down all 6 fish were there and waiting for me to look over. He took the time to tell me which ones were eating well, and didn't pressure me to make my decision.

I am sure that he didn't make much on that sale because of the "huge" ;D birthday discount.

My new majestic angel is very happily swimming around and eating like a pig.

Definitely my favorite Reef store!!

Great store. Will gets quality shipments of fish in. I was there last week and he got a shipment with a Queen Angel and a pair of Ventralis Anthias. All 3 fish were in top show condition. He knows his stuff too. That store gets my two thumbs up. He's got a nano set up with so much coraline on the rocks it looks like it was painted on. Great job AO.

The store is awesome Will keeps the place clean as his fish and tanks are also.
I was looking for a blue carpet for over a year and he was able to come thru for me.
The place is the best and there is always a fresh batch of new livestock that is hard to find.
If he does not have it he will find it.

I was in last night ... they were very helpful in picking out some food for me. I was really impressed with the work they have put in recently. Really liked their livestock looked super happy and healthy.