• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aqueon vs glasscages vs other?

I need some advice, the new aqueon 40 breeder I picked up looked great in the store, but once filled has 1000s of bubbles in all 4 seams. I do not trust it, and will not be using it. So now I am thinking about other options, I need a 36x18 tank and I already have the stand. Aqueon 40 breeders have paper thin glass and they bow which I think causes the seam bubbles.So my options so far are below, any others I should think about? trying to stay under 250 for the tank.

Aqueon - 50 gallon, this one has thicker glass and a center brace.
Glasscages - can get a 50 for the same price roughly as the aqueon - thinking they will be better than mass production tanks like aqueon?
Marineland - have heard lots of horror stories so not going this way I don't think

Other options?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Anything 180 and under is pretty good for marine land and AQueon

glass cages. I’ve heard bad things.

aside from custom it’s rough.
Maybe water box

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@ecam I didn’t know that about glasscage. I didn’t research yet on builds by them.

I received from Glass Cage a quote for a 75g with plastic frame (white or black) for $237 (not including 3 holes needed drilled) for tank and shipping $260. They will only deliver to a loading dock which is in North Brunswick. Glasscage was the cheapest in cost. I don’t know the quality

Here is a list other tank makers:

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Glass Cages
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Redsea
17. SCA
18. AGE
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Deep blue has nice tanks if you can find them,if not seapora I believe is the company that took them over.
Aquariums by JJ in bloomingdale usually has tons of deep blue tanks available

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Deep blue is no longer in business
I have a marine land 220 and it works for me.
This is a personal decision since the price from one tank to the other vary so much.

If my tank was going in a living room or a family room I would spend the money and get the water box or Red Sea.
They looks really nice and the stand is furniture quality.

Deep blue is no longer in business
I have a marine land 220 and it works for me.
This is a personal decision since the price from one tank to the other vary so much.

If my tank was going in a living room or a family room I would spend the money and get the water box or Red Sea.
They looks really nice and the stand is furniture quality.
Really you think so, I personally thought that the Red Sea Tanks were nice but the stands look like from IKEA just cheesey

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Really you think so, I personally thought that the Red Sea Tanks were nice but the stands look like from IKEA just cheesey

Yeah it looks clean/ minimalistic
A lot of people prefer that ikea modern look
Rather than a bulky wood cabinet.
The Red Sea gives you a clean open top with no canopy. That’s a look that a lot of people like.