• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are all glass tanks the same?

So searching for a replacement tank and haggling around I came across an add for a tank with the words Original Oceanic brand tank and stand. After talking with the owner he made it sound as if this tank with its brand name was the cadilac of tanks.. I basically said its a used tank made of glass I am more concerned that it holds water and what I am gonna put on,the tank.
Is there higher end brands ?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
There are certainly “better” tanks than others. It has to do with the materials and workmanship put into the tanks. I have an oceanic tank and it’s well built. You can feel the difference when comparing it to other tank like marine land or aqueon. Also most custom tanks are built much stronger than your standard tank. It’s like saying a used Honda and a used BMW are both just “used cars” and if they start they are both the same.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
There definitly is a difference. USA made low iron (starfire) is remarkable to look through. It really is invisible when viewing straight on. The distortion on an angle is also much lower compared to what I've had in the past. Coast2Coast in Toms River built my current tank. They do a great job, and you know they know it when they hand you the bill.

Dave

erics210

NJRC Member
I have a 210 Oceanic. Well made. Does have the thick eurobrace(glass middle top) which is a pain, but does offer more support.
I have had other large store bopught tanks...aqueon marineland and materials are not as good quality.