• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

are all ph monitors the same

My tank is only a 14g so I'm not looking for a controller or anything. I just need a decent ph monitor. Are they all relatively the same or are there any I should avoid? I really struggle with the test kits and right now my ph reads around 7.9. I'm not 100% I'm doing a good enough job so am looking for the monitor. Thx.

Almost all pH monitors are the same. Price differences are basically for "features" such as memory, temperature, conductivity, portability, ergonomics, style, color, etc. Look for something that will be precise to +/- 0.01 or 0.02 (in the worst case scenario). Most will be factory calibrated but buy some fluid just in case. They're usually a buck a piece. They say the buffer only lasts a few weeks but I think that's a gimmick. I've kept buffers in my lab for years. Cheapest one I know offhand is about $30 from Hanna Instruments. I can't remember the other brands offhand unfortunately.

7.9 pH is not terribly off the mark of ideal. Normal range is 7.8-8.6 Ideal is 8.1-8.4
pH is highly variable depending on how/when/where you measure.
pH is lowest at night so it hits its low right before lights turn on. Conversely pH is highest when lights are on and hits it's high right before lights turn off.
pH is not steady if you measure in a high flow area. Measuring the sample in a cup will give a steadier reading.