• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are niger trigger fish reef safe

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I don't believe they are. I want to say the main reason is because they will eat your CUC/ Shrimp and could pick at corals.

Now with that said I have a Flame Angel which some say are not reef safe and other say they are. Mine has been in my tank before I even added any corals and I have not lost one coral to my angel. My suggestion is do your research and if you want to gamble then gamble BUT be willing to pay the price if it goes south (lose corals, pull the fish out, etc...)

This is a site I use to get an understanding of a fish/coral I want to put in my tank
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Niger Triggerfish

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I had a niger trigger that went crazy was attacking my wrassess... A 30 dollar fish.... killed 2x rhombiod wrasses and 1x diamond watch goby..... ANYTHING with those type of teeth cannot be reef safe :) My theory