• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ASM Skimmer...

ASM Protein Skimmer...thoughts? ??? ???

I want to get a good skimmer for my tank. Something that will go in my sump. I've heard good things about ASM, but want more opinions on it before I go ahead and purchase it.

:D :D

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
price for performance. ASM is a good choice. The quality is not as good as some of the more expensive brands but I've had my G3 running for almost 4 years with very little issues. In fact, the only issues were created by a lack of maintenance on my part.

Also look into a ATI BM160 you can find threads on Reefcentral.
I have one on my 125 it works awesome.I replaced my Moded G3 for the BM160.

I must tell you the best skimmer I have seen blows away asm is a H&S Fins reef sells them.You will pay more of course but I promise you this will be the last skimmer you buy.

roxsburyrage said:
I must tell you the best skimmer I have seen blows away asm is a H&S Fins reef sells them.You will pay more of course but I promise you this will be the last skimmer you buy.

steve68 said:
how does a H&S blow away a ASM ?
diferent pump?
body style?

I would like to know too.... I'd also like to know if you have ever used a ASM skimmer? Basicly the heart of all skimmers is it's pump and I'm a big fan of sedra NW's, which one does the H&S use?

i think the H&S uses a eheim pump or a aquabee 1000...
alot of skimmers can do justice as long as the user knows how to tune it properly..
and with a properly setup sump