• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Asterina Stars and Anemones

I was debating getting a Harlequin shrimp to deal with my Asterina star problem. Then I asked myself...why cant I just feed them to my BTAs? Anyone know a reason that this isnt a win win?

I used to feed them to my rainbow nems. Not sure of this but I think it made them split more. Other than that I didn’t have any issues. I just had so many asterina‘s that I bought a Harlequin and he wiped them all out. But once he wipes them all out, he will die rather quickly without feeding him stars. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chocolate starfish in there in time. Some people have a hard time feeding a chocolate chip starfish to another critter in the tank or cutting their legs off to feed.

I used to feed them to my rainbow nems. Not sure of this but I think it made them split more. Other than that I didn’t have any issues. I just had so many asterina‘s that I bought a Harlequin and he wiped them all out. But once he wipes them all out, he will die rather quickly without feeding him stars. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chocolate starfish in there in time. Some people have a hard time feeding a chocolate chip starfish to another critter in the tank or cutting their legs off to feed.
That was my other route..but not knowing how fast they will clean out a tank...i decided to stay away. Cant get a ball park estimate on how many they will consume per day. But given anecdotal evidence..they are pretty thourough and pretty efficient.

I fed one to my rainbow. seemed to eat it. 24 hours later, it took a massive poopie and deflated. Seems back to normal today. Probably going to avoid..the poope scared me.