• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

At Wits End....AGAIN!

Hello Fellow Reefers,
I am once again at wits end with a new fish!!! About a month ago, I bought a bi-color blenny from live aquaria hoping it would take care of some of my algae problems, about the same time my brain did not open, and has not since. A few days after I got the fish, I happened to notice the blenny biting at the brain, not good, 80.00 brain vs 14.00 fish. I tried my trusty tang jar to get the fish out, all the other fish cleaned out the jar before the devil fish could get in it. The jar was in my tank for 2 weeks and I tried every night to get that little bastard to go in it. It got to the point where as soon as all the other fish saw me come into the room, they would all make a bee-line into the jar. For the past ten days I have been trying to kill the thing with a pointed bamboo skewer, but now the fish "knows" it is marked and everytime I go in the tank with skewer, it retreates to the back of the tank instead of the bolt holes it calls home. If anyone has any other suggestions (other than tearing my tank down) please post them here. My next plan of action is to try going after it with an exacto knife, I would prefer a non lethal solution but this little bastard is smart as hell.
TYIA
Mike.

:mad:

You could try marking a large 'X' in the middle of the tank, then hang a heavy anvil above the tank, suspended by a string. Loop that over a pulley, into another room where you can hide and watch. Then put a pile of blenny-seed near the 'X' with a sign that reads 'Free'. Then wait.

Alternatively, you could try taking the other easy-catch fish out and putting them in another tank. Then don't feed the tank for a while, get the blenny good and hungry, then see how well you can get him in the jar.

I prefer the first option though, please take pictures. ;)

Jason,
ROTFLMAO, too cute. Mike email or contact Boris, offer him what ever it is he would like to come and fish your bi fish out. He is actually very good at fish fish out of aquariums. I was at the same point you are only me with a Domino Damsel. Boris saved me.

I like jason's plan. Unfortunatley the Acme company is no longer in business.

Now being you have already restorted to skewers you may be beyond this suggestion. I have never tried this but the theory sounds solid. Being most people don't put rocks in the front several inches of their tank this area is usually obstacle free. Take a piece of 1/4" plexi glass, the same height as your tank and the same inside dimension lenth so as that it will fit inside the tank. Use this to partition the tank off leaving a front chamber that is obstacle free. Before putting it in the tank drill many 1/4" holes in it to relieve water pressure against it and allow flow between the front and back of tank. Also drill one larger 2" or 3" dia. hole in it. With it placed in the tank it should only be a matter of time before the fish you want swims to the front area. When this happens cover the 2" hole with a net and scoop fish with another net. Even better cut a 3" square piece of plexi that will cover the 2" hole and attach it with a plastic screw so as it swings and covers the hole. Attach fishing line to one end and when fish swim through the hole cut the line and the plexi will swivil and cover hole (less chance of a retreat this way when you approach the tank). A little involved but will bring back some of the good ol' days of the DIY projects. and once made it can be used again if necessray or even lent out to fellow members with the same tank.
If nothing else it would serve to prove that I actaully am the quack those have accused me of being.

Thanks All, Got a kick out of the road_runner_acme_move!!!

I just so happen to have a 4x4 sheet of plexi in the garage, I will give your "QT" idea a shot, thanks Carmine!

I will let you know how I make out.
Mike.

:D I got the little devil fish!!! About 2 hours after lights out last night I went back and turned on about 40 watts of daylight and fed my tank, in the confusion the blenny came out, grabbed some food and ducked into an empty shell on the floor of my tank, I grabbed the shell, blenny and all and dropped him in my QT tank. Thank you all for your suggestions on getting this thing out my tank. We all have a new way of getting un-wanted fish out of a tank, confusion. Or shall we call it dumb luck. Thanks again.
Mike.