• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Attn: Merv- Gravity feed

Hey Merv,

You said that you are now using a gravity feed for your Deltec skimmer. My H&S is basically the same model as yours. I am going to split the flow from the tank between the skimmer and sump and use a ball valve to get the proper flow rate to the skimmer, and I know how to plumb it. I was curious though as to how did you measure your flow rate? Did you just time it into a bucket, and did you use the flow going in, or out of the skimmer. Also how does the water exit your skimmer box in the tank? Is it an AGA mega flow type with an internal skimmer box where the water travels down the pvc pipe at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks,
Ken

C

concept3

plumb2.jpg

this is someone's diagram for better visual

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/118362Gravity_Feed_Plumbing.jpg

There is a thread somewhere on RC about approximately how many gallons per minute flows down gravity fed. I came across it a few weeks ago in the deltec forum, but can't find it right now for some reason.

I did not use the claculation, as I just found it, but it was good information to be read. The general consensus is that all skimmers are different, as our bioloads in the tanks. I found a sweet spot for my Deltec gravity feed by turning the ball valve open a little at a time (leaving the air intake at 2 o'clock)until I found the best suited flow rate by the level of the bubbles in the riser neck and amount of skimmate produced. Keep in mind too, that I only use an Iwaki 20 for my return pump which is rated at 540 gph, which is not really pumping that much water down since I have it t'eed off for the phosban reactor and Calcium reactor which is minimal anyways.

It would be safe to assume that I'm only returning about 500-520 gph coming down from my stockman, with about half that going into my Deltec AP600 since the ball valve is half open (or half closed? :D ) If I'm not mistaken, that's the recommended flow rate for that skimmer, which is about 180-250 gph.

Right now, I have the best foul-smelling skimmate I've ever had in the many moons of fish keeping. It's sooooo bad sometimes, that when I come home after work, that's the first thing I do, if I leave the skimmate bottle for 3 days (2 liter in sump to prevent spills in the cabinet) which is about 2-3 cups, the whole condo reeks. Seriously, and I wet skim too! You should smell the house when I dry skim.

Sorry i couldn't answer earlier, I was out of town and away from any computer all day Wed for family reasons :(

C

concept3

ken6217 said:
Also how does the water exit your skimmer box in the tank? Is it an AGA mega flow type with an internal skimmer box where the water travels down the pvc pipe at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks,
Ken

The skim box goes into a stockman stand pipe, then is split as in the above diagram. One side with the ball valve control dumps right into the skimmer, and the polished water dumps right into the sump (open sump designed by RichT) This is where you would want to measure the flow rate.

j3-2.jpg

Hi Merv,

Thanks for the info. The flow rate that you are quoting is pretty much the same as with the H&S.

Actually my skimmer runs fine and I have zero nitrates using Salifert. I am bored though and was looking to so something. I had see the plans below on the H&S forum in terms of tee-ing off from the return. So just to be sure, your stockmans pipe drains out of the bottom of your tank?

http://upload.pbase.com/image/75394392/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/75394426

I am hoping to come to the meeting this month. My son's last basketball game is this weekend.

Thanks,
Ken