• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Awesome polyp extension at night

I did a water change early this morning before any of the lights came on and I noticed a bunch of my sps that during the day looks to have really tiny polyp extension had some decent poly extension. So tonight I figured I would try and get a look way after the lights have been off and the room was really dark for awhile. I couldnt believe the polyp extension that all of the corals had, they looked amazing. Is this because a lot of sps feeds at night and during the day they simply are just relaxing or is it that the sps that has tiny exntensions during the day is placed too high in the tank?

I am no expert with SPS corals but I would say that they're trying to feed. A lot of LPS like frogspawn do that so I would guess the same would be with SPS.

I would say you stirred up some food that made them hungry. ;D My LPS does that more the SPS but same idea.

SPS corals really extend when the lights go out. However my sps corals have polyp extension all the time with crazy extension at night. Maybe the water change perked them up?

Gecko said:
SPS corals really extend when the lights go out. However my sps corals have polyp extension all the time with crazy extension at night. Maybe the water change perked them up?

Probably just being the night I guess, I just never noticed. I always have great polyp extension during the day but certain corals like my lokani and others that have vey tiny polys were very out in the dark and they looked so cool. Corals like my purple bonsai had huge neon green polyps at night. it would be so cool for them to be that hairy all the time

SPS extend polyps at night to feed, respire and fight neighboring corals when most polyp feeding organisms (butterfly fish for example) are asleep. During the day, they retract so they are not preyed upon.

concept3 said:
SPS extend polyps at night to feed, respire and fight neighboring corals when most polyp feeding organisms (butterfly fish for example) are asleep. During the day, they retract so they are not preyed upon.
very good info. thanks