• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AWI Typhoon 3 RODI

I've got an email out to awi - but figured i'd ask here.

Well thanks to Blange3 and coordinating the awi group buy - i picked up the little hosey thing to hook up to my sink. I was scared to pierce my pipe so I like this hosey thing a lot.

A couple snips of the included white tubing and I had water in the RODI. It looked so intimidating but in actuality the little notes on the RODI make it literally a 5 minute set up.

Now - I've got a water coming out of the tube that says "to drain" and I have a very slow amount coming out of the "pure water" section. The meter reads 5 psi - which I presume it not very good...but I wasn't blasting the water out anyways.

Now my question:

The first 3 sections of the RODI are filled with water. But the fourth section - (DI?) is not filling. I don't get why it is not filling and yet I still have water coming out the "pure water" pipe.

Anyone with a typhoon - ideas?

If I hear from AWI I will post here.
Thanks.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like the Typhoon comes with a DI bypass. It is used for flushing the system when first hooked up. This way it doesn't waste your DI resin.

From AWI website:
THE DI BYPASS: This is a real plus. It allows you to waste the first water produced by your system. When you first start any RO system the water quality is not up to snuff. By opening this valve and wasting that water to drain you will extend your DI Cartridge life.

thanks!

I did find the DI bypass - but that was on the closed position.

But reading page 3 of the instructions (duh) - I found what I was looking for:

"4. it is normal for the DI cartridge not to fill with water. Some have only an inch of water in the sump. This has no impact on the water quality".

Problem solved.

I guess I was just skeptical that it would fill only an inch and somehow stop.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil, You will also find that the DI cartridge fills totally when the auto shut off is activated. It will drain down again upon startup.

I have to assume that 5psi is either an error reading or air in the system or bad guage. Did you mean 50 psi? performance would be horrible with 5 psi!

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Phil, You will also find that the DI cartridge fills totally when the auto shut off is activated. It will drain down again upon startup.

I have to assume that 5psi is either an error reading or air in the system or bad guage. Did you mean 50 psi? performance would be horrible with 5 psi!

Taz

yeah - I read the gauge wrong. The black is kg/cm2. I read the black...the red is psi and at 70 - which I think is still low I guess.

ah...thanks! the gauge goes all the way up to 300psi so I thought mine wasn't pulling it's weight. :)

thanks!