• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Baby Pictures

[size=10pt][size=10pt]GSM @ 3-5 months[/size][/size]

DSC00939.jpg

[size=10pt][size=10pt]GSM @ 6 weeks[/size][/size]

DSC00942.jpg

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Black and Orange Mix Ocellaris 3 - 4 months[/size][/size]

DSC00946.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
Love the GSMs! My favorite clownfish. Wish i had a bigger tank so I could keep at least one in it. Someday.....

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow great job. I've been told GSM's are hard to captive breed.

The look great and healthy.

TanksNStuff said:
Wow great job. I've been told GSM's are hard to captive breed.

The look great and healthy.

I don't if that is a true statement. It may be. If it is I learned on the hard ones and the rest should be easy.

The difficulty with the gold stripes seems that you have to get them to stop the bickering long enough to get them to eat. They seem to waste so much energy fighting that it is hard to keep them fat.

I can get 2000 through meta only to loose quite a few after when they learn how to fight for domination. I don't believe they are being killed by the others. I believe they are undernourished and as result are more easily stressed and with that combination a lot of them die.

In the photo with the Ocellaris you can see one gold stripe on top right and and part of one top center as well as two just a below top center photo. These fish were captured during a duel hatch. As you can see the Ocellaris are a good size larger than the GSM. All the GSM that were born on the same night were fed the same food and kept under the same conditions and are less than half the size of the Ocellaris. Some of the GSM in that hatch are just 1/4" long while the Ocellaris are easily close to 1 1/2". They also have much more body mass.

Interestingly enough the gold stripes do not mess with the Ocellaris. I guess the biggest issue is the tremendous size difference. Nor do the Ocellaris attack the gold stripes. At night the two different species bait ball with only their own kind.

My conclusions are that if the gold stripes would stop fighting long enough to eat they would be as easy as the Ocellaris. Their growth rate would be much higher as well.

ReeferNets said:
Maroons are the hardest because they are so aggressive.
I can agree with that statement post metamorphosis.

I believe most common clownfish would be equally as difficult to raise from newly hatched fry up until meta. There is no aggression at that stage of development.

Another difficulty with the GSM is they have some of the largest nests of any clownfish. So if you try to raise the whole hatch of the Gold Stripes, the sheer number of fry create another set of problems you probably would not encounter with other clownfish.