• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

back and forth debate on lights

I know to a big extent this is personal choice but I wanted more feed back.
I'm currently using coralife aquapro 72" w/3-150 10k bulbs and 4-96 watt actinics.
I was thinking of going all t5's like 8-54 watt fixture.
now I'm thinking 2-250 watt pendants 16x16x7.5 with parabolic reflectors and using 12 or 14k SE reflux bulbs. I don't have a hood or cover on this tank.
anyone using this pendant? its coralvue. I guess I would suspend them 16-18" above the tank

le_se_pendant.jpg

this is the pendant. ballast comes seperate. thinking one on either side of center brace 250 watt w/12k reflux.not ready to jump on this.just looking or dreaming right now. any downside to using this. 150 gal. tank

I see reflux does not sell 14k so I guess the 12k would be way better than 20k unless anyone thinks 14k in another brand is better than the 12k reflux

malulu

NJRC Member
my tank is 210g, i got the samething before - "coralife aquapro 72" w/3-150 10k bulbs and 4-96 watt actinics."

about 1.5 years ago, I changed to the outer orbit HQI - 250W x 3, with 8 T5 in it don't really like it that much, i think it may be due to the T5 ballat is not as good as the one from IceCap.
images
images

in the future, i am thinking to replace it with that you just posted (but with 400W), am thinking TWO may be good enough, but the two center brace may blocked some of the lights.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you are going 250w and want a good 14k bulb get the Pheonix 14k. Love that bulb and they make it in double end and single end (I know this because I accidently bought the se bulb and it sits in its box at home).

David are you using a chiller? if not you may have to with 400 watts. this was my concern even with the 250's. if you use one did you notice a spike in your electric bill? how many people are using 400's? are you all using chillers?
mnat if I purchase those lights I may buy that bulb from you if its still available.
have you ever tried the 12k reflux? or did you go right to the 14k phinix

On a 150 I think 250 watt is plenty , 400 is only gonna heat up your water more. But on a 6' tank you will need 3 pendants. Go with the lumenarc mini's everyone who has them loves them including me. I have 4 - 250 watt lumen mini's over my 215 and it lights it up nicely. The top of the tank is crowded though, Especially with the 2- 6' actinics ;D

thats what I am leaning towards. I thought the light spread with the 16x16 suspended 16" above the tank would light up the tank. with a little bit of shaded areas for corals that like it that way. They sell a duel ballast. whats your opinion on this? 190. for duel 115 for singles x 2=230. only downside I can think of is if it blows you loose both lights. also thinking 12k no actinics.

the 12k reeflux is very blue. more blue than the 14k phoenix actually. if you like a blue tank, it's a nice lamp.
as for the dual 250 watt ballast- you are correct. i purchased one from sunlight supply and in the first 2 months one side went out. i had to send it back to them and they replaced it, but my tank did without 2 lamps for a week.
i would suggest 3 single ballasts. i use a single 400 watt halide in the center and two 250 watters on the sides of my 195, which is 25" deep, and didn't need a chiller. just a 12" fan. the 250's were fine for sps/clams/anemones, and i didn't need the 400.

have you guys seen the thread about the artemis bulbs from ebay?
http://renegadereefers.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4893&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mr_X said:
i purchased one from sunlight supply and in the first 2 months one side went out. i had to send it back to them and they replaced it, but my tank did without 2 lamps for a week.

Yeah I have 4 single ballasts because that's what I wanted to avoid

ok. got the bulbs in yesterday. hooked em up. They look really nice. we shall see in the long run. even if they only lasted 4 months it would be worth it.