• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bacteria Driven Reef

mgonz said:
Did you cut back to 5 gal every two weekes or are you still doin 10 gal every week.
I cut back to 5g every 2 weeks. Are you thinking that's causing the rise? I should go back to 10g a week?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The solution to pollution is dilution, so yes that could be causing your rise in PO4. It was a pretty drastic cut from 10g a week to 5 g every other. Maybe find the happy medium of 5g every week.

everything that I've read about going bac driven always said to do 10% water change weekly so I would prob start there. go back to what you were doing.

I'm going to go back to weekly water changes. Not sure about 5g or 10g weekly. I'm also going to cut the Amino Acids to 3 drops/day.

Judging from what I see doing a five gallon two weeks water change isn't enough. Again it is recommended to do a ten percent water change weekly. with your 180 I would think the min to do would be twenty every week. Keep in mind with what you are trying to do you are ripping out all nutrients, both good and bad. You will help replenish all those good ones by doing water changes. I don't think cutting back the amino's would really make the diff although they may if you will continue to do those types of water changes.

How are your corals doing? are they showing any signs of stress? I mean you can also run a phos reactor, if you aren't already doing so, and that might help.

Also be careful dosing the recommended amounts of the KZ products. On the zeovit forum they recommend starting off at alot less then the recommended doses and working your way up..

I decided I was going to go back to 10g changes eveery week. Corals seem to be going well. Colors are pretty good, just not as colorful as I thing they should be. I'm running RowaPhos in a reactor that I change every month. I do take it slow with the KZ products and dose at half the suggested rate.

I always wonder why they even post a suggested dose and not instructions like that.. I have been doing the prodibio thing, 2 months into it and I am starting to see major improvements. I figure it wont be till around six months before I see full blown results. I took my phos reactor off line though, and run only carbon. I read somewhere that the phos remover will actually outcompete the good bacteria for nutrients. I don't know how true it is. someone always has a theory behind everything.

mgonz said:
I read somewhere that the phos remover will actually outcompete the good bacteria for nutrients. I don't know how true it is. someone always has a theory behind everything.
Read that as well. Might take mine off-line next time it's due to be changed.

I've been dosing these products now for about 2-1/2 months. I honestly don't know if I see any big benefit. I still have isolated area of hair algea. I can't seem to get my PO4 lower than 0.07. I'm going to do a test tomorrow though. My SPS look ok, some look better than others. Some branches on my Red Planet look fantastic, other branches look kind of grayish. I have two millipora's that are supposed to be blue, and look terrible. In fact, a tip broke off of a branch on each milli, and I've yet to see it grow back. Not sure if I should continue to waste my money and time on these additives. Here's my current dosing:

Phol's Xtra: 4ml/day
MB7: 10 drops/day
Coral Vitalizer: 8 drops/day
Biofuel: 8ml/day
Zeo Amino Acids: 3 drops/day
Sponge Power: 8 drops/day
Lugol's: 1 drop/day
Brightwell's Potassion: 2ml/day

I just switched salt to Seachem Reef Salt.