• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bad Fish List

Generally, I think the list is excellent, especially for people new to the hobby, and have no idea of the special requirements of many of the fish commonly offered for sale.

For an experienced reef keeper, I'd consider the list a guide, rather than hard fast rules.

If you plan to keep the fish on the list, especially the A listed fish (should not be kept), you should have a specific plan on how you are going to receive, acclimate, feed and house the fish. This may mean a dedicated system, possible a large dedicated system. No "let's give it a try and see how it makes out" kind of stuff.

To be more specific, was there any special fish on the list you were interested in keeping?

NJ_ychung1 said:
if venomous fish are banned then zoos and palys should also be avoided for consistency.
my 2 cents.

from the article:
"The rest of the Scorpaenidae species that are listed below are fairly easy to keep, but almost all are venomous, and some can prove deadly. We're not saying you can't or shouldn't keep these fish. We are saying: BE CAREFUL! "

Fwiw, I agree with dave and think the list is valuable, if only as a chart to view against what the LFS is saying. I thought rc's greenbean helped contribute to that weblist. I've disagreed with him on previous occasions but 9 out of 10 times - he's right. :)

malulu

NJRC Member
this list is cool! only if it would also providing pictures for each fishes, it would then 100% perfect!
;)

phil519 said:
I thought rc's greenbean helped contribute to that weblist. I've disagreed with him on previous occasions but 9 out of 10 times - he's right. :)

I can look at greenbean's posts all day! ;D

This is pretty good ... thanks. I actually had a Moorish Idol who did great in my tank for years. Then I introduced this tiny maroon clown who badgered him and killed him overnight. I couldn't believe it. The Idol was beautiful, but I don't know if I'll try one again.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And many of those fish will die while folks take the invincible tact of "I can keep anything". Unfortunately, until you have to take a test to keep specific fish they should just be left in the ocean where they're safe.

i would add damsels to this list. damsels are too darn feisty, territorial and will kill anything that it can get away with killing. just plain old bad. reef safe yes, but not other-fish safe.

Actually damsels are on that list if you look carefully. Lots of the aggressive types are there. I wouldn't exclude them for their aggression but beginning hobbyist need to be aware of how bad they really are. I experienced in firsthand. I was shocked to see my damsel getting bullied by my flame angel. The next day, the damsel had killed a chromis and was picking fights with 7 others (angels, tangs, clowns). Basically this tiny little fish didn't care who was there before him. He wanted to dominate a 120G tank all to himself. And talk about hard to catch.

Anyway, was going through this to check on cleaner wrasse. Saw some yesterday and was fascinated by them. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember they should be avoided. I loved this guy but decided not to get him. Anyone have experience with them? I would love to try, but not sure I want to contribute to their demise/collection.

calaxa said:
Anyway, was going through this to check on cleaner wrasse. Saw some yesterday and was fascinated by them. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember they should be avoided. I loved this guy but decided not to get him. Anyone have experience with them? I would love to try, but not sure I want to contribute to their demise/collection.

I can tell you about my experience with a cleaner wrasse. He ate anything and everything that entered the water, always swam around, almost hyperactively. He insisted on "cleaning" and clinging on to every fish his size and bigger, and drove my Hippo tang literally nuts to the point where he tried to leap out of the water many times. He definitely stressed my fish, so he had to go back where he came from.

cleaner wrasses serve a unique niche in the reefs and if we (as a club) are to try and encourage people to save the reef- there is no better place than starting with the wrasse.

I've read that places where the wrasses have been harvested (for ornamental hobby) resulted in more fish showing signs of disease and a small population in general. Of course - we know statistics can be conveniently adjusted to better support a conclusion. That stated, I think cleaners should stay in the wild - so that they can do their job. In the wild they service huge numbers of fish - and not the tiny fish we have in our tanks - big schools of fish and large fish (groupers etc) where I bet you the parasites are plentiful and filling.

Anyways - I believe I saw one sponsor selling cleaner wrasses and in the long run I hope our club can convince them not to carry them. A good alternative would be the neon goby from the atlantic. Same purpose but these little guys are easy to keep and captive bred to boot!

Hawk,

I think we saw it at same place. I really want it but I know I can't provide the correct environment for it right now. Maybe down the road, I might attempt a captive breed experiment (when that 1000+ G tank gets the wife's blessing)