• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Baking Alkalinity Solution

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It was time to cook up a little more Alk, and I thought I’d share my experience in the kitchen. I purposely don’t want to mention that “C” word, because I think many are scared away when they hear that word.

If you’re a two part user, this is an easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy recipe that anyone could do. I start with Baking Soda…..regular Arm & Hammer that I get at Sam’s for $6.87 for a 13.5 pound bag. This one bag will make approximately 12 gallons of alk.

So I’m going to cook up enough for two gallons. I start with two aluminum cookie sheets, and to each one I add 2 ¼ cups of baking soda. By the way any cookie sheets will work….they don’t have to be aluminum….ceramic coated steel is fine as is any other cookie sheet.

0c672979-f4fe-4fe3-960b-1bc240b263c9_zpsba07d969.jpg

While I’m doing my measuring, I preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

b4212eee-2011-43ee-95c4-3421fa79a072_zps0208d957.jpg

Place the trays in the oven and bake for an hour. Here’s one of the great things….it doesn’t matter if it goes longer. I asked my wife to turn off the oven when the timer went off while I was working outside. I came back into the house about two hours later, and it was still in the oven cooking….and I knew it didn’t matter. You can’t “overcook” this stuff.

Here’s another great thing. If you’re in a rush, you can mix the cooked baking soda while it’s still hot….it doesn’t matter. However, I let it cool so that I could easily handle the cookie sheets without getting burnt.

I use two old one gallon juice jugs. I fill them about half full with RO/DI water. Using a funnel, I add all the baking soda from one of the cookie sheets to the half filled bottle. Once all the baking soda is in the jug (from one cookie sheet), I top off to one gallon with RO/DI and shake. The powder quickly goes into solution. Now if you don’t mix right away, like I did with the second one, a “cake” will form on the bottom. That’s OK. Just start shaking and break up the cake. It will now take a few hours for this to go into solution, but no damage done.

Here you can see one gallon that was just topped off with RO/DI water, while the other one is ready to receive the last slug of cooked baking soda through the funnel.

aef7e636-7eb9-4b9b-837c-6fbe20d3ffdb_zps056ac612.jpg

And that’s it. This is the same stuff as B-Ionic Alkalinity solution at a fraction of the cost.

One last point; if you have high pH, you don’t need to cook the baking soda. Simply mix 2 ¼ cups baking soda to one gallon of RO/DI water.

This recipe isn’t my doing, it came from Chef Randy Holmes Farley from THIS article.

Last edited:
Paul,
How long will the baking soda last after being cooked. Im close to running out of my BRS soda ash and figured I would do this next. I was goint to just cook the whole bag to refil my container. Also does 2 1/4 cups prebaked still equal 2 1/4 cups post bake?

Thank you. I think im gonna be maaking the conversion to the DIY 2 part instead of the BRS. Maybe I can save a bit. Just gotta wait for winter to com in for the Heat

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've done this before and it works great. Super easy to do it too.

I'd like to add one more tip... once you have your solution mixed, you're going to want to know how much to dose, right? Well, just go to the BRS website and use their Reef Calculator, using the alkalinity calculator. Put in your info, then select the "2 Part Alkalinity (Soda Ash) Solution" product. Or, if you're using uncooked baking soda (for use with high pH), select the "Sodium Bicarbonate Alkalinity Solution". The 2 "Dry" choices are for straight up baking soda that isn't pre-mixed in water. I guess those would be good for emergency corrections when you don't have any solution made up... but I'd suggest using the solution whenever possible.

After plugging in your info and hitting "Calculate", it will show you how much you need to dose. It will also have some important info on maximum recommended dosages per day. Pay close attention to those as any amount above that will change your pH too fast and possibly damage your livestock.

I have a feeling that i'm going to get into dosing sooner or later. Even though I cant see the pics (I see a little black "x" box) this is an awesome write up. Can we get this stickied??

I have a feeling that i'm going to get into dosing sooner or later. Even though I cant see the pics (I see a little black "x" box) this is an awesome write up. Can we get this stickied??

x2 sticky this one. i will be dosing soon enough & will definitely be referencing this along with the Ice melt Calc recipe.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The recipe for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium DIY solutions are referenced in the bottom of the OP…..from Randy Holmes Farley. To quickly summarized the Calc part, simply mix 2 ½ cups of Dow Flakes (an ice melt product that is really hard to find) with one gallon of RO/DI water. An alternative ice melt that is readily available is Prestone Driveway Heat. This is the one I use…..I think its a 40 pound bag, which is a life-time supply. However, without getting too technical, the “bound” water was removed (anhydrous), and therefore you only need two cups of Driveway Heat made up to one gallon RO/DI water. Simply mix until dissolved.

The recipe for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium DIY solutions are referenced in the bottom of the OP…..from Randy Holmes Farley. To quickly summarized the Calc part, simply mix 2 ½ cups of Dow Flakes (an ice melt product that is really hard to find) with one gallon of RO/DI water. An alternative ice melt that is readily available is Prestone Driveway Heat. This is the one I use…..I think a 40 pound bag which is a life-time supply. However, without getting too technical, the “bound” water was removed (anhydrous), and therefore you only need two cups made up to one gallon RO/DI water. Simply mix until dissolved.

lol totally missed that Paul :). yea Dowflake is very hard to find glad you put up the qtys needed for using driveway heat.:encouragement:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
While I’m at it, I’ll summarize the Magnesium part as well. What you’ll need for this is Mag Flakes (an ice melt product that I think is in a 40 pound bag) and Epsom Salts (that you’ll find at your local Drug Store). This is a ton of Mag Flakes, so if a bunch of you get together you can split up that big bag. As it is, that 40 pound bag was less than $20. Actually I use so little of this solution, you might want to consider buying the Magnesium Chloride part from BRS. I’m still on my first gallon I made a number of years ago….the two or three other gallons I made, I ended up giving away.

Now I do one little thing that is different than what Randy says in his article. I have found that if I individually dissolve the Mag Flakes and Epsom Salts, and then mix the two solutions together, I get a little less of that precipitate. Either way you will get a precipitate, but with the following method, I get less.

In a gallon jug filled about a third of the way with RO/DI water, I dissolve three cups of Epsom Salts. In a second jug, also filled with about a third RO/DI water, I dissolve five cups of Mag Flakes. I usually add a little more water to this one to ease dissolving, but note that the combination of the two jugs cannot exceed one gallon. Once all the stuff has totally dissolved, I mix the two together and add RO/DI water up to one gallon. You will get a precipitate that either you may add to your tank without harm or not add it…..it doesn’t matter.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I can't find a good guide on here but Randy has one using dowflake Here

It'd be awesome if somebody who does this currently can make a little guide here for a sticky.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371743007.851320.jpg
My "calcium reactor" is nothing more than a tube with a drip valve on the end. I've been using Prestone Heat and haven't seen any change after switching from the expensive stuff. Thier MDS shows it to be 92% pure. No one else list the contents. I mix 2 cups per gallon.
I use A&H in my tipoff. Takes some guess work because the evaporation rate changes on whether the heat, AC is on or if the windows are open. I strive for 8.5-9 on ALK. Right in the middle of the safe Zone in case I miscalculate. I've never had it Wander more then 1 point.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371743439.997711.jpg
Tank stays pretty stable.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Well I'm a little concerned. The name is right...Prestone Driveway Heat......but the description is wrong. It says that this contains calcium chloride, potassium chloride, water, sodium and calcium bromide. That is NOT what is says on the bag of Driveway Heat I purchased......it just says calcium chloride. Here's a picture of the bag I purchased.....50 pounds:

4eb342e3-c6ee-46f1-b2f8-b6ef24378609_zpse57680c1.jpg

You want calcium chloride period!