• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bare bottom aka BB is the best :)

I just wanted to say that I got the last of the sand out of my tank and I love the look and I no longer have to gravel vac my substrate BB is the best :)

Anyone else feel this way?

I'll have to disagree with you buddy. I hate the look enough that I'm considering adding sand to my frag tank. I just could never get used to the look. And even with enough flow I could never get away from the little piles of detritus that seems to build up here and there

I'll have to disagree with you buddy. I hate the look enough that I'm considering adding sand to my frag tank. I just could never get used to the look. And even with enough flow I could never get away from the little piles of detritus that seems to build up here and there

Agree to disagree then :)
I have been sucking it out over the last 2-3 months of water changes the look took me a little bit to get use to now it's out I will never go back I always had to deal with nasty looking sand no matter what you do it turns it doesn't stay nice forever I hope I don't regret it

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I'll agree to disagree, I hate the bare bottom. It just doesn't look natural. The ocean has sand or at least rubble right now my sand doesn't look it's best but generally mine has stayed pretty clean looking. Lots of water changes with good flow and some light stering on the surface seems to keep it looking good. It's just a personal preference I guess.

Looks like I'm out numbered here
No matter what you do 2-3 years there's no way the substrate looks close to what it did when you put it in

I'm bare bottom now after a few years of having sand. I honestly never thought that I could give up the sand but after seeing a few bare bottom tanks especially Darren's I decided to give it a shot. The black bottom seems to draw the eye towards the rock work and coral similiar to how a black background does. My sand was filthy when I pulled it out and I vacuumed it regularly.

So far going bare bottom hasn't been maintenance free. I clean it about once a week. I plan on giving it a go for a while and see what I can get growing on it. I figure that I can always add sand down the road.

Im with ya Dan! Bare Bottom all the way. I sucked all my sand out months ago and cranked up the flow. My Sps love it and i no longer have to look at sand dunes. Bottom glass is completely covered in coralline.

BB on my new tank but the bottom panel is black acrylic and I love the look! Based on how my flow is set up I get two piles of detritus that form and it is easily syphoned out. I can crank the flow as high as I want and not have to worry about a sand storm.

For anyone who is using starboard, how pliable is it and what thickness are you using? My tank is eurobraced and I want the sand out.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's my two cents.....

I have a JBJ 28 bare bottom and a 90 gallon with sand. The bare bottom is more of a PIA when trying to keep it clean. So I'm going with sand!

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've tried BB and i gotta say, its not bad and would try it again on a larger scale system. Especially if it were to be an SPS dominated system.

On a smaller scale, i say, in the 90 or less, with good placement of rock and a couple of good powerheads, you can keep sand clean and build up of detritus minimal.

it really just depends on how you maintain your tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Dan just watch your alk now that all the sand is gone. There are buffering properties in sand that once removed can cause your alk to swing a bit. If you keep an eye on it you will be fine, but I know some people have had issues with pulling it in the past.

I am torn, I LOVE the look of sand but I understand how easy bb is because my frag tank is bb. I think like what type of sand you use, it all comes down to personal prefernce.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I removed sand a few months ago and totally love it. The bottom is now totally covered with coraline and the Kole Tang keep it free of algae/diatom. It's personal preference aesthetically but it's definitely easier to maintain. Only thing is not able to keep some of the sand dwelling fish.

Dan just watch your alk now that all the sand is gone. There are buffering properties in sand that once removed can cause your alk to swing a bit. If you keep an eye on it you will be fine, but I know some people have had issues with pulling it in the past.

I am torn, I LOVE the look of sand but I understand how easy bb is because my frag tank is bb. I think like what type of sand you use, it all comes down to personal prefernce.

Thanks for the tip mike didn't even think of that