• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Barebottom tank

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'm planning on going bare bottom on my 180. One benefit that I just realized that a sandy bottom provides is shock absorption from accidentally rock slides or bumps. In a bare bottom tank how can u protect against the occasionally drop.

I read someone where about insulating the tank bottom from the stand with some kind of styrofoam. Any ideas?

starboard, azek, or epoxy faux sand bed. i dont have anything and have had rocks fall from my rock structure. They fell probably about 12" right to the bottom and there was no damage to the tank. i do wish i had something though because i am worried that something might happen if a larger rock falls with more force.

Most of the bare bottom tanks I've seen are just that bare bottom, nothing used at all. You can cut the base rocks flat so they sit nice and secure everything else. After trying to smash a tempered bottom with a hammer recently and questioning how strong I might be I'm convinced a few falling rock will be fine.

Starboard/large cutting boards.

Another suggestion would be to shore up your rocks with epoxy, zip ties (black) and/or drill holes and use acrylic rods (either bought online or buy those drive way markers in home depots hardware isle) to tie them all together. Even with sand in a tank, the last thing anyone wants is a rock slide!