• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Basement Finishing? Advice/referrals apprecaited

We'd like to get an idea of how much we're looking at to have our basement finished (nothing fancy, just want a clean decent looking playroom for our daughter & office area for me), I realize we'd save a ton by doing it ourselves but that isn't an option.

Our home is 3 yrs old and we have a Superior Walls foundation system, which I understand means we only need the corner beams installed and then we're good to go on having drywall attached directly to the system (figuring in any additional walls/doorways we decide to have built and framing around the furnace etc) so hopefully that will mean a big savings over having to stud out the whole place.

I'd love any referrals anyone can offer, we're in Port Monmouth/Middletown.

Thanks!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When we were looking at getting about 1000sqft of our basement finished it was going to cost us about 15-25K to have it done by someone else (when I figure we can do it ourselves for 5K). Needless to say we didn't have it done!

Looks like since the studding is already in place for you, you'd save some, but I'd venture to guess that the lion's share is in the finishing work. You'd also need to do any interior walls you'd want to have.

My guess on the estimate would be roughly 10,000-15,000. I had a name of a contractor from a few years ago that I'll try to dig up for you. The people I wouldn't recommend would be JRC Construction. :)

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Basement finishing is FUN! :p

IMG_6618.jpg

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can give you a few phone #'s. Wish I had the time since I'm only right up the block.
Having the Superior Wall Sys. on the walls only make the job harder. You save a few hundred by not having to frame it, but you pay double on the electrician since now he has to snake wires to where they have to go. You also have to take into consideration the time it will take to frame around all the plumbing in the ceiling or to drop the ceiling.
If you feel like you can DIY, I can give you all the tools and equipment you'll need and walk you thru every step, but don't have the physical time to do it myself.
Phyl's price is a good cheap price for a generic refinish w/o a bathroom.
LMK what your plans are and how soon you plan to do this.

Hi Candi - We had ours done about 6 mos. ago. and did about 70% of the basement (1000-1200 sq ft).The contractor was out of the Somerville area and was pretty good and very economical compared to other quotes. The end tally was approx. 10,500. He added in a bunch of shelf work around sewage pipes without charge. Let me know if you want his name...I would recommend him, especially if you are around the that Middlesex county area. I think his outfit is called Maintain a House

I regret not having him put in any plumbing down there, at least a sink that would empty into the sump pump or something. I need to have this done now.
Bob

Hi everyone. Sorry for going MIA lately... just super busy with visiting family, the new dog (who's getting huge), starting more serious (or as serious as you can get for a 3 1/2 yr old) homeschooling, gymnastics class, playgroups, etc etc etc. Hope to get back into the swing of things!

As for the basement, thank you for all your responses, to anyone who offered names/numbers YES PLEASE! This is in the very early planning/saving stages but something I really want to get done.

Mike: I know you're super busy, but if you think you'd have time in the next year or so (like I said we're not in a rush) I'd love a quote and to hire you for whenever you have time... I think we have enough electrical already in place, maybe just need one more plug or switch but the walls do have predrilled holes for running electrical. For the ceiling we have that silent floor system, looks like most of the pipes in the area we want to finish are already up in the rafters, just looking to do a simple drop ceiling, nothing fancy. Walls just basic drywall, again nothing fancy...not looking to have this look like another living room, fine with it looking like a finished basement (if that makes sense LOL) Flooring I'd like cheap carpet but with kids and the dogs might just stain/seal the concrete and use rugs/foam tiles. No bathroom or anything, although I really do need a laundry tub by the washer/dryer.

Do you by any chance still have any time to come over WHENEVER to put in a garbage disposal? We still don't have one and with the holidays and more cooking... well I need one LOL please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

maybe search for an electrician? i am not sure if plumbers run electrical lines to garbage disposals. At work, electricians always install garbage disposals..