• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Basic tools for acrylic sump building?

Hey guys I'm thinking of building my own sump since it needs to fit the space I had in mind.

Can anyone recommend the basic tools that I may need?

I already have a circular saw (big one), but I doubt if that will work since it's a little bit oversize for what I really need. (I don't have a table saw either, nor do I plan on getting one anytime soon)

The acrylic pieces may be anywhere between 1/8" and up to 1/4"

(waiting for master sump builder RichT to chime in too!)

radiata

NJRC Member
Get the pieces cut exactly to size when you buy the plastic. Note that some places have limits on how small they'll cut (because of the danger to fingers). If you're a perfectionist you may want to use a blowtorch to flame polish the edges.

Someone on here said there is a guy on ebay. You give him all your sizes and he'll cut and ship em to you, think they said price was good too

Nickjr000 said:
Someone on here said there is a guy on ebay. You give him all your sizes and he'll cut and ship em to you, think they said price was good too

do you have a link for that "guy on ebay"?
I love to buy acrylic with ready cut
Olivier

So I said last week:

I already have a circular saw (big one), but I doubt if that will work since it's a little bit oversize for what I really need. (I don't have a table saw either, nor do I plan on getting one anytime soon)

.........................................................................................

But I went out and bought a router and table. Olivier, if you need smaller pieces cut I could probably do that for you instead of going through the guy on eBay..... I got the set today, I will be playing with it this week with some scrap pieces of acrylic

I cut all my big sheets with a table with a blade with a lot of teeth.

The other tools I recommend would be:

Acrylic applicator bottle - small plastic bottle with a needle for dispensing
Clamps - Can't have too many of them
Some shims
Plastic Squares (I cut out the corners so not to glue them in)
Blue painters tape helps out a lot
Some small diameter pins if you are going to glue using the pin method
Router with round over bit (so you can trace and make nice ends)
Plumbers torch for cleaning the ends of the exposed acrylics.

Any questions hit me up, I've made plenty of acrylic tanks and sumps. After learning a ton of stuff from RichT and Melev

I have thought about picking up this craft many times. However, the cost of Acrylic makes it so daunting. I also heard about this guy on Ebay.

What do you use the shims for though?
The shims are used to ensure there is no gap between the two pieces. I recently built an 80 gallon sump. I would recommend you include a refugium and a bubble trap. Even if you do not use the refugium it will provide you with flexibility later.

As for the tool, I would also include, something heavy to help "force" the pieces together.