• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

bc 14 lighting question

I have a bc 14 with stock lighting and I am considering a upgrade to a sunpod metal halide fixture and I had a few questions. Other than being able to keep different types of corals will I see a difference in the health of what I have and will it increase growth?
I am able to fit a 16" sunpod which will be a 70 watt fixture. I see a lot of people talking about a 150 watt fixture which is 20" so I don't think that will fit well on the top of my tank. I am not opposed to hanging a different type of fixture from the ceiling if it seems like the better thing to do. I am concerned that the 16" at 70 watts will not give enough.
Thanks for your help

Hello there,

Sorry for the delay in responding.. been taking care of a bad back.. In regards to your question here is what I can tell you. It all depends on budget and ability.. If you can hang a light then I suggest the coralife 24" 150w with dual 65w actinics and 2 1 watt moonlights.. Expensive fixture new but you can find one online for sale at about 120 or 150.00. However you have to hang this one. You can see my thread in my signature which will let you see what it looks like after like page 9. On the other hand CONSTANTNE has the 70w sunpod and his tank is really nice as well. He is currently going to upgrade to a 20k or just get some moonlights ( still deciding ) but either way you can have some really nice coral. The 150 just gives you a little more room and depth to breathe. I keep my 150, 6inches from the top of the tank with a 14k Phoenix bulb and will be going 20k this weekend I think at which point I will raise the light to 7.5 inches from the top of the tank and then lower it over the coming weeks.

It is really up to you.. but either one will give you a nice looking tank and less limitation on what you put in it. Just keep in mind temperatures might go up and top off will be something you need to deal with not having a covered tank.

Hope that helps.

Mynd
Thank you for your thoughts I hope the back is doing better. I think I will look into the fixture you suggested.