• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Be careful!

How's it going, most Of you are veterans to the feeding community but for those of you who are not be VERY CAREFUL when using digital power strips. Here's why, over the past few days there's been a burning smell in the house, when we investigated further we realized it was coming from my room. At first glance we couldn't find anything, could t really detect where the smell was coming from then a few minutes ago I heard a crackling noise so I looked under my tank in the stand and saw this image.jpg if this had gone unnoticed for a few more hours I have no doubt that it would have caught fire. Luckily I caught it before that could happen. Just a message to all that you always need to be careful

How's it going, most Of you are veterans to the feeding community but for those of you who are not be VERY CAREFUL when using digital power strips. Here's why, over the past few days there's been a burning smell in the house, when we investigated further we realized it was coming from my room. At first glance we couldn't find anything, could t really detect where the smell was coming from then a few minutes ago I heard a crackling noise so I looked under my tank in the stand and saw this View attachment 4858 if this had gone unnoticed for a few more hours I have no doubt that it would have caught fire. Luckily I caught it before that could happen. Just a message to all that you always need to be careful

this is why I mount all electronics OUTSIDE the stand :)

I think this one is GE, it's incredible they still allow these thins to be sold on the market. There was no water anywhere around the socket and as you can see in the pictures it's completely fried

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's definatly the same power strip as the CoralLife. It amazes me that this death appliance is still sold. It a shame when there are numerous cases of total failure and these are still on store shelves because of greed.

Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
GE also branded these pieces-o-crap power strips. I actually thought these things disappeared off the market years ago. Obviously not. So this is a good thing it’s been brought up again.

THIS IS IMPORTANT……….IF YOUHAVE A POWER STRIP THAT IS BRANDED CORALIFE, ZILLA OR GE AND/OR IT HAS THE FOLLOWING GENERAL APPEARANCE, GET RID OF IT NOW. OTHERWISE, IT WILL SELF-IGNITE. EXPOSURE TO WATER IS NOT NECESSARY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.

ZillaPowerStrip.jpg

YOU MAY WANT TO GO BACK AND LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL POST BY BOB (MAGIC), HERE.

I mount all electronics OUTSIDE OF THE STAND. I can't belive how many people mount their expensive EB8's and controllers inside of the stand. These items CLEARLY state that they are NOT to be used next to or in the vicinity of moisture.

I mount all electronics OUTSIDE OF THE STAND. I can't belive how many people mount their expensive EB8's and controllers inside of the stand. These items CLEARLY state that they are NOT to be used next to or in the vicinity of moisture.

IS mine okay where they arE?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
IS mine okay where they arE?

If we are talking about a Coralife/Zilla/GE power strip that looks like, or is similar to the picture a few posts back, it doesn't matter if you put it in your attic. No water required for these things to torch-up into flames.

I dont know if this was mentioned.Ive seen a boatlod of people with the same problem. I feel that some of you with the melting power strips might be putting to much load on the power strip itself. If you are trying to run to many things that require a ton of amprage I would be of the opinion that it would overload the power strip and cause a failure. I have had the same power stripe running for 5 yrs with no problems. Check the power of the strip capabilties and the requirements of the devises you intend to put on said power strip.

Always make sure you plug into a GFCI receptacle. I always run a dedicated circuit for my tank. Remember, the more things you plug in the more amperage you draw. Be safe.