• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

beginner needing help

settin up a 36 bowfront reef tank want to know if I can keep these species all in the same tank I will be adding little by little and what size light do you guys think I should get thanks John
live sand and live rock of course
frogspawn
brain coral elegance coral (what does it mean when says aggresive)
galaxy coral
organ pipe coral
plate coral
torch coral
chili coral
mushrooms
purple sea plum
scallop
starfish
zoanthids
polyps
aneome
clam
featherduster
shrimp,hermit crabs,horseshoe crab
and then these fish
wrasse,blenny,basslet,clownfish,anthias,dottyback,cardinalfish,dartfish and a goby
what do you think any advice welcome thanks John

actually a lot of the LPS coral you have listed are aggressive and have stinger corals. The stuff you have listed are compatible but I think there is going to be a size constraint. They might get into chemical warfare and stong each other to death. That's a nice wish list but I think you will have to trim it down.

The elegance has one of the nastiest stings. It's also the hardest coral on that list I think.

Quick look at list and problems I see:

First the inverts,
Too many stingers in a 36G. Choose maybe 3 of the following: (Frogspawn, Brain, Galaxy, Torch, Anemone) The anemone can be troublesome in a tank as some have potent stings (Condy, Carpet) or move around often (BTA, LTA).
No problems I really see with the softies. Maybe depends on what mushrooms. Some varieties might outcompete the others but overall no problems. Some zoas same problem.
What's a sea plum? Don't know what that refers to. Do you mean sea apple?
Clams, you'll need strong lighting and strong water current.
Scallops, most don't do well. I would reconsider this one.
Horseshoe crab. Avoid. This thing will get huge. Also will decimate the sandbed of good creatures.

Now the fish,
Anthias, not a good idea. Most grow very large and require schools to survive.
You're gonna have to get more specific on the particular species you want in here. Each category has their cautions. Wrasses are jumpers and can become carpet surfers. Dotties can be aggressive. Dartfish are jumpers as well. Basically you can have maybe 4-6 fish of small/medium size.

hows this thanks again John
frogspawn
brain coral
galaxy coral
organ pipe coral

chili coral
mushrooms

scallop (flame scallop why are these no good)
starfish
zoanthids
polyps
aneome
clam
featherduster
shrimp,hermit crabs,snails
and then these fish
wrasse,blenny,basslet,clownfish,cardinalfish, and a goby

John,

frogspawn
brain coral
galaxy coral

The 3 LPS are fine if you give them enough room. Choose the anemone wisely. BTAs/LTAs like to roam about and even though they have weak stings, touching an LPS can prove detrimental to both of them (usually BTA dies from the sting and LPS gets brown jelly and dies).

Mushrooms and chili's no problems.

Scallops, particularly flame scallops are cheap and offered often in the trade. However, they don't live long. If you see a large specimen, it's probably pretty old in age already. Your call though. Their care is not that hard. You will need to feed them plankton very often.

Clam,
Depends on lighting and size of the clam (small ones need to be fed). If you go the clam route, realize this will limit the fish you can place in the tank. Again, you didn't indicate the species of fish and they can vary greatly, especially the blennies and gobies.

Hello welcome to NJRC.
So far some good advice. Try to forget the flame scallop, you can feed them but they do not survive well at all in our tanks and we are trying to save reefs not lose them.
That can segue to banggai cardinal fish, they are rapidly becoming endangered and it is due to us, so we need to only buy and demand tank bred fish if you want that cardinal. There was a good article in the most recent TFH. Check it out.
I would suggest staying away from the more aggressive clowns.
Try reading some different books, take your time.
Anemones really like more established reefs so I would hold off for a little while. Also consider your biological filters need time to get established so take your time.
There is a theme...take your time...you started well by asking questions. Try to figure out which different fish you want as each family has a pretty diverse bunch of possibilities.
James

bovsbaitboxes said:
settin up a 36 bowfront reef tank want to know if I can keep these species all in the same tank I will be adding little by little and what size light do you guys think I should get thanks John
frogspawn
brain coral
elegance coral (what does it mean when says aggressive)
galaxy coral
organ pipe coral
plate coral
torch coral
chili coral
mushrooms
purple sea plum
scallop (skip)
starfish (skip, most are scavengers that won't hesitate to catch a fish)
zoanthids
polyps
aneome (skip)
clam (be careful with selection because most will outgrow a 36G)
featherduster
shrimp,hermit crabs,horseshoe crab (skip the horseshoe)
and then these fish
wrasse,blenny,basslet,clownfish,anthias,dottyback,cardinalfish,dartfish and a goby

I put some notes in the quote ( )
From the frogspawn to the torch, the number of them you may be able to keep will depend on aquascaping and the coral's temperament. Start with you favorite on the list, see how it adapts to your tank and move onto number 2.

Do you have any specific fish you are looking at?

for sumps - check this page out:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

or ask our resident expert - richt - he designed and custom built the one I bought (used). He's "retired" now but might be able to chime in on your design.

in terms of a skimmer - you could go without one for now (like me...lol) until you find a deal you like. Or the PA group buy. Note - you have to be a member to join the group buys.