• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Berghia Nudibranch

arvin

NJRC Member
Does anyone know if Nudis are available in any LFS in the central jersey area?

-arvind

arvin

NJRC Member
I have about hundred or so in a 60gallon tank. Tried boiling water/lemon joice/kalk paste etc at various times. Because there are so many none of these methods were effective. Couple of months ago, I took the rocks apart, soaked them in lemon joice concentrate for few minutes, rinsed and put them bank in the tank. It killed some but not all. They all eventually came back. It appears that lot of people having success with Nudis. I am thinking of doing that exercise one more time and then add some Nudis and see if it takes care of it.

Brando, 5 nudis in a 28g - how many days did it take?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only problem with the nudibranches are when their done the go down the overflow and die. They do work! Ocean Gallery II used to carry them.

Bob

It took about 2 months before everything was completely eaten and gone. Bob is right though because now I dont know where mine are... RIP NUDIS

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I did get some reasonable sounding advice about Peppermint shrimp.

Get one or two peppermint shrimp, a small rock with aptasia, a plastic 'cage' (like a berry container or such).
Place rock on sandbed.
Cover rock with cage.
Place shrimp in Thunderdome.
Eventually shrimp will eat the aptasia.
Release shrimp to wreak havok.

Not a bad idea, just make sure there is no coral on that rock as well or that shrimp might just take a liking to something other then aptasia

thunderdome...lmao.

Anyways if you're patient enough arvind, for every aip that appears, put a frag on it...cover it with epoxy. Epoxy doesn't add any bioload, doesn't beg for more food, and it is relatively inexpensive (while being useful mounting frags). Although i would love to see thunderdome in action lol.

arvin

NJRC Member
Thanks Phil & Mark. These methods might work when there is handful of Aiptasia. In my case there are literally hundreds. I am looking for more "shock and awe" than thunderdome method to get rid of them.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Racoon butterfly will destroy them as well. It will also destroy corals, but if the tank is just rock and aiptasia, get the butterfly.

I just stopped by Absolutely Fish in Clifton the other day for the first time. Went there specifically for the berghias. They had 3 of them, tiniest things I've ever seen. Seriously looks like a copepod on steroids.. or maybe just a slightly longer copepod. Smaller than a tigerpod (I think that's what the long ones are called). 2 of them were floatimg at the top of the water, i thought the were specs of dust but he said they were berghias, and alive. Anyhow, they are $20 each. Twenty dollars each. Two Zero.. each. Needless to say I passed on those and was pretty disappointed.. until I stumbled across a copperband butterfly that was actively hunting the rocks. Asked the guy to drop some mysis in and he started eating it up. These guys are also known very well for eating aiptasia, and being reef safe. And not so well know to be eating well and displaying hunting behavior, especially at the lfs. I scooped him up and drove him home and he's been plucking baby aiptasia from the sand, bristleworm from the rocks and frozen thawed mysis. Feel like I I found a gem. Hasn't bothered any coral, and I have a lot of LPS and softies in my 150. Hope he starts chowing down on the big aiptasia soon.