• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best affordable reef salt?

Ive been buying my saltwater from feng but the travel is just to far now. Im planning on mixing my own. Whats the best affordable reef salt?

And how long can saltwater sit for? Do I need a powerhead on at all times?

I think plain IO gives you the best bang for your buck. As long as you use a salt mix that doesn't contain any type of organics, i.e. Reef Crystal, Red Sea Pro, etc. you can keep it for long periods of time without any PH's/aeration. Make sure your using RO/DI water.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you dose your reef, i just go with instant ocean and add any calc that it is lacking, maybe a bit of mag as well. dkh is usually around 9 with the mix.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is no "best." It's what works for you. I'm very happy with plain old Instant Ocean. Fosters & Smith regularly have a sale for $40 for a 200 gallon box.....with free shipping. Ocean Gallery II also just had a sale for $40 a box.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
i have always been afraid of using anything other than IO reef crystals.....so for me, if it ain't broke.........

Regular Instant Ocean here. I use a 30gal tank for my mix station. It mixes constantly and I use what I need and top off as it goes. If I start dumping 5 gals from it starts topping off as its dumping, I add more salt and move on. In theory its been mixing for about 2 straight years without a cleanout and without the slightest bit of precipitation built up. The only time the pump gets shut off is if I happen to do a large water change and it starts to draw air.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I switched from IO to IO reef crystals and I find the reef crystals mix nicely. I have it down to where I don't really need to check the salinity (but I always do). I agree with @downbeach on make sure you are using RO/DI water. Also pick up a refractometer if you don't already have one

I started off with IO Reef Crystals than switch over to Kent Marine Salt. But i do enjoy both product. Buying it in 200 gallon box are abit of a money saver for one pocket.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

horseplay

NJRC Member
If you have a fairly new tank that does not consume a lot of alk and calc you may find its hard to get the levels down to NSW levels with IO. You can use a salt that mix to NSW levels then switch to the cheaper IO salts. I had this problem when I first setup the tank.