• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best bulb for color.

NapoliNewJersey, Have you setup the Outer Orbit Pro 250 yet or is it something you just ordered?

If it is already setup and working how does it look visually to you color wise with the combination of bulbs in it?

Also what did you have on the tank previously?

Just curious,
Carlo

mikem said:
Phyl said:
My bad. Reeflux doesn't appear to sell a 14k (but that's the color if you were to use another brand, IMO). We use the 12ks also.

You almost made me switch to 14K's. I love the color of your tank.

Color can still varry for bulbs of the same temperature but different manufacturer. If you take a look at pic of my tank you will notice that left side is more reddish and right side more bluish/green. Both sides are iluminated by 14K MHs, but the left one is the bulb which came with Coralife setup, and the right side is the Ushio bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_1969A.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 66
Hey Blange

I use t5's and I asked GrimReefer on RC about the lights. I just saw some bulbs I'm going to try. They're by Hagen. I don't know how the wil;l look, but I need to replace my bulbs anyway. I love the the look of my t5's, and prefer them over MH or compacts. Now I know that just that statement alone can start a war with the MH peeps, but hey, it's just my opinion, not look for a fight at all. I'll look at what my bulb mixture is and I'll let you know. I think it's a great combo. By the way, where do you live. My tank is being housed til I can finish some repairs on the house I just bought. It's a t Fish and Friends on RT.9. Stop by and take a look at the color. Maybe you can use the same mix of bulbs I currently have.

revclyburn

Hey Blange this is the bulbs I have:

2 blueplus, a sun and 3 aquablues. This was recommended to me: 1 GE 3000K, 1 UVL Super Actinic, 2 Aquablue and 2 Blue Plus. Maybe a little on the blue side but I'll see

revclyburn

I'm using the Reeflux 12k's right now. I seem to like them. I've used Hamilton 14ks and XM 20ks. All are 250W. The 20ks were a little blue. The 14ks were good as well. I'm going to stick with the 12ks for a little while longer.

I was using an XM 10K bulb, but I switched to a Phoenix 14K a little less than a year ago. What I noticed pretty much mirrors everyone else. I got amazing growth from my corals under the 10K, but even with 2 pc actinics, the light color was far to yellow for me and the corals themselves seemed to lose their bright colors. I switched to the Phoenix 14K (which seemed very blue at first, but I think I was just used to looking at the 10K), and although the growth slowed down, I am much happier with the colors of the corals.

Tina

Mike, I have the same setup but with 150s and 130w compacts. I just switched over to 14K from current that I purchased from pet solutions for $50 and I love the color. It took me 8 Mos. to finally give up on the 10Ks but I'm glad I did.

You also have the option to swap out one of the t5 for the true blue (460nm)? bulbs on each side. I have the compacts so I'm stuck with dual bulbs.

My tank looks like a purple underwater heaven. You'll see the bulbs in the "sunpod section" in the catalog.

Erik

C

concept3

Hey Mike- did you get those bulbs in? how do you like them so far?

Not sure if you meant me or MikeM but I still haven't switched yet. I really want to because the 10K look way to yellow.

I'm still gonna go with the reeflux 12K and I most likely am gonna go with the actinicBlue plus for 2 of my T5 bulbs.