• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best copper treatment medication for ich

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
which copper meds do you guys use for ich, also do you use any other medications, and can you use Seachem stability to help cycle the tank, keep Ammonia in check QT going up tomorrow

Any alternative to Hanna their expensive as hell haha
I wouldn’t spend $50 on the Hanna either. Unfortunately, (or I guess fortunately) I haven’t had to treat any fish with copper so far. Although I'm sure the Hana is probably the most user friendly. Chances are there are other kit that will work.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Just use copper safe and api copper test. I did tons of qt with it never have problem. And api was very accurate for this. When u gonna do copper spread on to 3 doses not 2 like they recommend.
just ordered copper power and api reef2reef recommended hopefully it works!

falconut

NJRC Member
I tried doing copper (cupramine) with the Seachem test & it kept coming back. I purchased the Hanna test kit & found out my levels were only at half the dosage. The colors on the other test kits are sooo hard to tell the true color. I would have sworn I had the correct levels. So after getting the Hanna I did a correct treatment & haven't seen it since & ever gish made it. Highly recommend.

Ive used cooper power... It works but cooper is a double edge sword.. The stress of the ich and cooper treatment can kill the fish. Most fish don't survive ich unless they were extremely healthy and established prior. If you do treat with cooper never in your main tank or with equipment that shares work with your main tank and a good cooper test kit to stay safe

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Well the fish are in the QT atm first day did a tiny dose of copper power about 2ml and the fish look like they going to die the damsel is literally white now the tang is like brown?

Attachments

• 3558C9B9-1D5C-4145-A4B4-967D82921D74.jpeg
    3558C9B9-1D5C-4145-A4B4-967D82921D74.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 592E859A-ECB7-4101-8B80-BED37762A18C.jpeg
    592E859A-ECB7-4101-8B80-BED37762A18C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
My fingers are crossed for you and the fish. Best of luck
well the color of the tang kinda came back the damsel looks pretty bad atm i increased the dose of copper power alittle bit all of them are now completely covered in ich read online its suppose to get really bad before it gets better

falconut

NJRC Member
Were they eating before? Copper can be stressful. I raised mine very slowly, took a week to get to full treatment level.

Unfortunately, if your test kit is one of the ones that's got the hard to tell apart colors, you could be over dosing. If it's a newly setup tank, the ammonia could be elevated. Not all ammonia kits work when copper is present. Plus I believe all the ammonia removers can't be used with copper. So there could be different things going on.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Were they eating before? Copper can be stressful. I raised mine very slowly, took a week to get to full treatment level.

Unfortunately, if your test kit is one of the ones that's got the hard to tell apart colors, you could be over dosing. If it's a newly setup tank, the ammonia could be elevated. Not all ammonia kits work when copper is present. Plus I believe all the ammonia removers can't be used with copper. So there could be different things going on.
well what i did was i used 50% water from my DT and 50% freshly made, i also took the filter floss from my DT aswell, so ammonia seems to be zero atm. copper i split it into 5 days or doses she was really stressed the first day was literally brown her color is returning i saw her go for food but nothing yet