• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best mp40 mode for sps

So I just bought a mp40wes from.tba aquatics. It should be here next week and naturally, I'm excited lol. I was wondering what would be the best placement and mode for a 40b tank that's sps dominated.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have mine on the opposite side of my overflow and about 8" from the water surface, centered. I find myself in reef crest most of the time but on the weekends, I put lagoon mode when I remember too. I do not have the ES version, but I heard the NTM mode works well too.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I change every two weeks between reefcrest, lagoon and NTM. I also manually set to NTM everytime I feed rods food. That stuff is nasty for water :).

I am ordering a Apex extension this month with PA GB to set different modes during the day.

In gonna be upgrading my mp20's finally to 40's. I can't wait, that should give me all the flow I could want in my tank.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Awesome guys thanks for.the tips. I'm really excited. Koralias kept dying and the flow is so narrow

I know the feeling man, the mp40 has to be one of the best investments I have ever made. I was doubtful in spending so much in a powerhead but it really does make a difference in flow.

I know the feeling man, the mp40 has to be one of the best investments I have ever made. I was doubtful in spending so much in a powerhead but it really does make a difference in flow.

Good. I got a deal but still.spent a fortune. College budget does not allow this lol

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Well, you should also invest in ear plugs if you spend too much time near your tank ;)

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
They are loud. I have 2 mp40 and one mp60 on my tank. So it is an acquired taste. The mp60 at 100% is like a jet that is sitting on the runway and would just not take off ;) :) :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You should be fine with the mp40 on a 40 breeder. Your glass is not thick enough to really give it an issue. If you line it up correctly, the thing should be very close to silent 90% of the time. Also, being in a 40 breeder you will have the thing at %50 power at best. My mp40s were silent, my mp60 on the other hand is a bit loud but I think that is a ball bearing thing and not a pump thing. I run my mp40 in my frag tank on lagoon and mp60 on reef crest.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off the MP40 has a glass thickness setting, so that’s taken care of. Just make sure you set the thickness for your glass. If it’s in between, go for the thinner setting.

But more importantly, with an MP40 in a 40 breeder, that thing will never get close to running at 100%. Mike said 50% (at best).....I say definitely less. That will definitely cut down on the noise (and life of the bearings.)

Having done bearing replacements in an MP10, I am now convinced that the problem with all Vortechs are the radial bearings. Radial bearings handle forces in a radial direction. The problem is that there are also lateral forces on these bearings. They are not designed to take lateral forces….. And therein lays the problem. It would be nice if you could get tapered rolling bearings for these things.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
First off the MP40 has a glass thickness setting, so that’s taken care of. Just make sure you set the thickness for your glass. If it’s in between, go for the thinner setting.

But more importantly, with an MP40 in a 40 breeder, that thing will never get close to running at 100%. Mike said 50% (at best).....I say definitely less. That will definitely cut down on the noise (and life of the bearings.)

Having done bearing replacements in an MP10, I am now convinced that the problem with all Vortechs are the radial bearings. Radial bearings handle forces in a radial direction. The problem is that there are also lateral forces on these bearings. They are not designed to take lateral forces….. And therein lays the problem. It would be nice if you could get tapered rolling bearings for these things.

Paul - when you invent the competition could I be on the focus group to test one of the prototypes :eagerness:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have a 40 in my 80g frag tank and it is not at full speed. If I turned it up, it would blow my frag racks all over the place and probably pin the fish to the opposite wall. I ran a mp40 on my 205 before I got the mp60 and it did a very admirable job in there.