• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best placement for chalice coral (Echinophyllia)

Just picked up a gorgeous red Echinophyllia from Trop. A small question on it --

Where do you guys place it for optimum health and growth? Seen ranges all over -- high light, high movement, mid light, mid movement, etc. I have it towards the bottom of the tank right now (about 17 inches under the 150W metal halide lamp).

I like the position and placement of the coral now, but I'm always trying to make sure everything is situated correctly before final placement.

Just keep moving it up a bit every few weeks. The color will suddenly pop when it likes the light. Also they do get rather long sweepers. So be careful with the neighbors. Other than that they are very hardy. How about a pic?

stcreef said:
Just keep moving it up a bit every few weeks. The color will suddenly pop when it likes the light. Also they do get rather long sweepers. So be careful with the neighbors. Other than that they are very hardy. How about a pic?

I'll try and get one in a few.

I think it's roughly 6 inches across or so. A truly gorgeous specimen if you ask me. I was surprised that no one bought it (Trop had it for months now and it's grown quite a bit in their system).

Pictures:

chaliceclose2jpg.jpg

chaliceclose3jpg.jpg

chalicemedium1jpg.jpg

chaliceside1jpg.jpg

fulltankchalicejpg.jpg

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a blue chalice with green eyes that's placed about 10" under a 150w mh, flow is moderate. The colors are brillant.

Bob

stcreef said:
Beautiful......

I was up there two weekends ago. Never spotted that one.

It was in the coral tank on the right side -- facing the other coral tank. They have another one sort of like it in the same coral tank on the side facing the cichlids.

Same price. I paid $120 for it and I think it's worth every penny (I actually thought it was quite cheap for the color and size).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you show them your membership card you'll get additional discounts added to your account. You only have to show them your card once a year as they enter your expiration date into their system.

I had one that was doing great 1/2 way down under 400w MH and when we added an ecoaqualizer to the system we suddenly had too much light penetration. I had to move it to the VHO tank in the same system. It is now coloring back up (whew). So watch it carefully for a few weeks for signs of lightening before you move it up and up and up!

Sorry, I didnt mean to keep moving it up, up and up. What I meant is, once you get it to a level it likes, the color will brighten. Too low and it will darken, to high and it will bleach. If you get it to a high level it likes, lots of owners use these guys as indicators as to problems with their lighting. Once there is a color shift or change in par, the echino will change as well within a short period of time.

Phyl said:
If you show them your membership card you'll get additional discounts added to your account. You only have to show them your card once a year as they enter your expiration date into their system.

I had one that was doing great 1/2 way down under 400w MH and when we added an ecoaqualizer to the system we suddenly had too much light penetration. I had to move it to the VHO tank in the same system. It is now coloring back up (whew). So watch it carefully for a few weeks for signs of lightening before you move it up and up and up!

I actually need to PM you about that, Phyl. Haven't gotten my card yet! :(

Would anyone be interested in a frag of this chalice? It's growing like mad and I'm thinking of making a few frags of it.

Let me know.

- Jon

Well, I might be going out to the Hidden Reef soon (gotta use my $30 rebate at some point!). I could bring a frag out there with me if you're interested by the time I go.

Sounds good to me depending on how much you want for the frag... i got bored and when i get bored i spend my money so im out of money but have a bunch of stuff from mr coral coming in the mail hahah. Just let me know when your going out and how much for a frag, thanks!

Xavier613 said:
Sounds good to me depending on how much you want for the frag... i got bored and when i get bored i spend my money so im out of money but have a bunch of stuff from mr coral coming in the mail hahah. Just let me know when your going out and how much for a frag, thanks!

Alrighty. If you check the for sale forum, I decided on a price. $20 for a 2 inch frag. Let me know if that's cool for you! :)