• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best Pymy Angel

Hi All,

Looking for the best pygmy angel for a 30 gallon, 25lbs live rock, colt coral, leather finger coral, xenia, mushroom, 2 clowns. I have my picks = Bi-Color, halfblack, Bluefin/Whitetail, Multi-Color, Flameback, Woodhead. Also take into account a price range between $30 to $50 bucks.

You're taking a chance with any pygmy angel, but I think the bi-color are supposed to be no a good choice for a reef. I currently have a 75 and 90 gallon reef. In the 90 I have a Potters Angel and a Gold Flake Angel. They touch nothing. In my 75 I had an Ebli Angel that looked like he picked on only one SPS. After he died, I noticed that ALL of my corals looked MUCH better. I had the same experience with a Flame Angel once. By the way, a friend of mine has a Gold Flake Angel as well and it ate everything in his tank. Just goes to show you, it is dependent on YOUR particular fish. It depends on your priority. Do you like the fish that much to take the chance.
Ken

i have both potters and eiblis in my 75, and neither ever touched anything, but i have heard many stories contrary to my experience

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a flame angel and a cherub angel. The flame is in 20 g (going to be moved into a 30 g very soon) that is filled with zoos and LPS and he picks at nothing. We just added a clam so we will see how that goes. The cherub angel is still in quarantine and is doing well. They are the smallest of the family and would fit fine in a 30 g. You probably want to avoid the bi-color from everything we have read.

Great info, thanks! Is there any other kind of majestic fish (show piece) that you would suggest! I'm looking for a beautiful fish that has some size but can also live in a 30 gallon.

old salty said:
Great info, thanks! Is there any other kind of majestic fish (show piece) that you would suggest! I'm looking for a beautiful fish that has some size but can also live in a 30 gallon.

30 gallon is tuff....I would try the Bellus as posted earlier. Most fish require at least 50 gallon.

Why not a coral beauty ? I just picked one from a fellow nj reefer. He and the other tank residents [some 15 beginner coral species] are doing absolutely fine. It also looks pretty good and is very peaceful.

My coral beauty is going on five years in my reef(s) with no problems from him. I had a gorgeous flame too but lost it in QT.

If you take out the potters (due to cost) the coral beauty and flames are tops, and although you hear of a bad one now and again the ones you hear of the most success stories as well. But, if I did a 30 or smaller again, I would strongly consider a pair of Argis, that would be sweet!

I take back what I said about the Bellus Angel. I saw one yesterday (female) and bought it. Very nice looking fish and is supposed to be as reef safe as you can get for an angel.
Ken

ken6217 said:
I take back what I said about the Bellus Angel. I saw one yesterday (female) and bought it. Very nice looking fish and is supposed to be as reef safe as you can get for an angel.
Ken

Yeah, glad to see you get one......I must have jinxed myself or something found mine belly up the other day. After about 7 months. All the other fish are fine......Can't explain it. Good luck with yours.

old salty said:
Hi All,

Looking for the best pygmy angel for a 30 gallon, 25lbs live rock, colt coral, leather finger coral, xenia, mushroom, 2 clowns. I have my picks = Bi-Color, halfblack, Bluefin/Whitetail, Multi-Color, Flameback, Woodhead. Also take into account a price range between $30 to $50 bucks.

I can't recommend any of them for a reef tank.

The ONLY pygmy angel I would ever recommend is the Golden Pygmy Angel.

Retails for about $89-99 depending on the store.

Rbu1 said:
ken6217 said:
Ken

Yeah, glad to see you get one......I must have jinxed myself or something found mine belly up the other day. After about 7 months. All the other fish are fine......Can't explain it. Good luck with yours.

Sorry to hear that. Tropquarium still has a male and female.
Ken

I had a flame angel with no issues....model citizen in my tank. The most beautiful pygmy angel if you ask me. Potters are beautiful also but can be shy. Bellus are very nice also but a 30 is way to small for them. good luck

Harry