• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best Way to Catch a Fish?

I added a fish to my reef and (surprise!) it likes to eat coral. It's a kind of brown heniochus. I thought it would have the same nice temperament as the regular balck white and yellow heniochus. Nope.
Anybody have any great advice on fish removal? ??? ??? ???

So far I have tried
--Chasing the fish around the tank (almost worked a couple times)
--Disassembing the rockwork (fish goes and hides elsewhere)
--Box trap baited with a live brain coral (fish is apparently no dummy)

It's occurred to me that the very size of my tank makes this difficult. Therefore, my next attempt will be to create an acrylic sheet allowing me to dived the tank roughly in half (I have a gap in my rockwork allowing me to do this.) I will the be able to keep the fish away from the cave he's beeen hiding in and, hopefully, catch the little buggah.

I think that a series of plexi pieces, even large tubes, would allow me to corral any fish in a smaller and smaller area, then remove it.

Don't know if it would work or not but I'd try and leave the net in the tank for a few days hoping he gets accustomed to it. After a few days try and snare him then.

Very bummed today. :mad:. Made and installed my tank divider, no problem. No success capturing the fish, although there's a smaller area to chase it. The major bummer is that my healthy, active, kole tang keeled over and died during the festivities. No warning, he was just lying there, no gill cover movement at all. I have no idea. Did he smack into the (nearly invisible) acrylic? Was there something toxic in the freshly cut plastic? There was no lack of water flow on that side of the plastic.
The brown heniochus was out this morning, picking on my brain coral, poking its tongue out at me.

Tonight I'm removing rocks from that side till I catch it.

I saw a method once but I never tried it. I don't know how well it would work but I guess its worth a try. You get a big see through bag - like the ones you get when you buy a fish. You then cut a V on either side of it (as big as the fish is). You place the bag in the tank along with the fishes favorite food in there. I think it may "catch" the wrong fish but the idea here is that when the fish enters the bag it has a hard time trying to get out. Maybe you can implement this along with the divider to make sure that he is the only fish on that side?

jimroth said:
Very bummed today. :mad:. Made and installed my tank divider, no problem. No success capturing the fish, although there's a smaller area to chase it. The major bummer is that my healthy, active, kole tang keeled over and died during the festivities. No warning, he was just lying there, no gill cover movement at all. I have no idea. Did he smack into the (nearly invisible) acrylic? Was there something toxic in the freshly cut plastic? There was no lack of water flow on that side of the plastic.
The brown heniochus was out this morning, picking on my brain coral, poking its tongue out at me.

Tonight I'm removing rocks from that side till I catch it.

I hate catching any type of butterfly.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Jim,
Sorry to hear about this. Nice looking fish.

I remember one person actually baited a small hook and went fishing in his tank. Caught the fish too.

is it possible to bait a box near the water line with one of your corals?

I know it sounds ridiculous but i had a maroon clown that insisted on trying to force this coral to host her and the quickest way to catch her was to place the coral in a box near the top. Sure enough she went right in.

SUCCESS.

I mostly disassembled the rockwork on the side of the barrier where the fish was. I only partly disassembled the RH column. I took the rocks out of the tank, netted the fish, and re-aquascaped. The end result actually looks better (silver lining) but I did bust up a couple of my beautiful designer frags. (if only there was some kind of upcoming event where more frags could be obtained.... ;)). The fish is in his own little wet jail cell, a critter cage at the bottom of the tank.

Anybody want a coral-gobbling brown heniochus?? ::) It goes back to the store on Friday!

Oh boy, Jim, I can't believe you had to go through such an ordeal to catch the coral muncher. I remember when I was trying to catch a fish in my 75. I did resort to a super tiny hook, and would have been able to catch every fish in the tank - except the one I wanted. :-X

JerseyWendy said:
Oh boy, Jim, I can't believe you had to go through such an ordeal to catch the coral muncher. I remember when I was trying to catch a fish in my 75. I did resort to a super tiny hook, and would have been able to catch every fish in the tank - except the one I wanted. :-X

How did you eventually catch it?

The heniochus has a mouth so small, the hook would have to be nearly microscopic!

I saw an ad in TFH for some kind of fish anesthetic (fish dope?) and I wonder if that would have worked. I was starting to consider skewers, knitting needles and poison, I'm glad it didn't come to that.

jimroth said:
How did you eventually catch it?

I know you'll probably crack up now, but I didn't catch it until we did the transfer from the 75 to the 180. ::)

And in all my previous attempts, I also knocked over coral, broke off pieces, etc. That fish truly drove me insane. And in case you're wondering what type it was, he was a Kole tang who had killed several fish. I know, I know, VERY unusual for a Kole, but mine Wwas evil.

Just saw this post... Wish I had seen it earlier. Ya shoulda checked on www.wetwebmedia.com ;)
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/movelvstkfaqs.htm
One of the least invasive, semi-successful ways to catch a fish is using light shock. :eek: Ideally, you would do this in the middle of your fishes night, i.e. lights off period. Basically by turning the lights on when the fish are normally sleeping can induce a shock like state where movements are slowed and the fish can be significantly easier to catch. You can also doing this by turning the lights off during the day to try to induce an artificial sleep period, but the natural sleep cycle is likely to be better. You will want to have gathered all your supplies, ie nets, containers, etc before turning the lights on because that shock period doesn't always last too long. Is best when you know their favorite hiding places and may want to use nets to block access to all the other favorite hiding places (except of course the one where the fish in question is actually hiding.) Chase the fish out and block the hole and hopefully quickly scoop him out, but if not hopefully you can at least keep him out of the rockwork. Hope this helps someone at some point.
Cheers,
Michelle