• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Betta fish and RO water

Sure enough after spending all the time and money for a reef tank, the oldest daughter wants a Betta Fish!! So some quick research I learned that RO water is not recommended and treated Tap water is. Would anyone know the reason behind that?

I couldn't find any specifics in a quick search. Also need to look for a very small tank for her room.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This Link should help answer that question.

It's basically the fact that RO will strip the water of minerals that the betta needs.

As far as a tank goes, you won't need anything bigger than This

My wife has a betta in her classroom, she was using tap water with conditioner in it and the fish was doing horrible. She has since switched to RO and the fish is doing great!! So not sure about not using RO

I have kept and raised bettas in the past and currently have 2....the debate lingers on about RO water.I dont use RO water for them but do use tap water and conditioner-off the top of my head not sure the name but its a "betta" conditioner.As for the tank size,some have kept them in bowls(past thinking) Now the new thinking is shallow tanks with either heavy airation(not heavy flow) or larger open tops,because they do come to the top to gulp air.In the natural habitats they are found in areas like rice patty fields- shallow pools of water with low flow and plants where they can perch at differant levels...

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I know people who have kept and bred Bettas. They all used conditioned tap water or let the water sit for a few days before using it. Any tap water conditioner will do. Even though they can breathe air its a sign of poor water quality when they do this. Frequent small water changes are needed if you plan to breed them otherwise weekly will suffice.

Thanks everyone for the information. Was shocked about the RO Water. I'll start with Tap as that seems to be the "best" way.

yea its a sign of bad water quality if they continually gulp air but not if they go up periodically for air. Good luck on the betta/s