• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Beware of Aquatic Hobby Aquarium Supply Online store.

Not sure if this is the proper area to post this, but just want to voice my buyer's experience from a online company named Aquatic Hobby Aquarium Supply. I purchased a Current USA Power Skimmer from them. It did not fit my tank ( Eurobrace 2 inch tank rim ) so I contacted their customer service dept. They charged 20% restocking fee, then when they realized that I try the skimmer, they won't take it back. On top of that the customer service rep got rude on me. Wow, I couldn't believe it!!! They have no customer service skills. Just to warn any buyers who came across this company online, check the return policy before you buy. I will NEVER buy from them, no matter how cheap are their pricing.

Alot of companies charge a restocking fee. It's common in computers and electronics. Buyer beware. I got burnt by one of the better vendors and companies online in what I believed was a defective part. Now both the company and vendor do not return my calls. This is why I'd rather deal with someone I know at a LFS and pay more up front.

Most online companies charge a restocking fee. Also, once you actually use a product like a skimmer, it can no longer be sold as a new product, and is worth far less. They need to sell it as used, and at a big discount to move it at all.

To protect yourself, all online purchases should be made via a credit card. This way you have at least some legal protections. A debit card, pay pal and other payment methods do not have the same protection.

If you used a credit card, call your credit card company and dispute the charge. You may need to do this it writing.

Just about any online place you deal with has little in the way of customer service skills. Also, often companies outsource customer service, and you are talking to a clerk that has the standard company line, and all they can do is quote it to you.

You might get better results by writing to the company. Maybe a real person will open and read you letter. Always send such mail certified. Proof that you set it goes a long way to prove your case with the credit card people, or court system, if it ever cones to that.

As for using a LFS, all I can say is that they have problems also. You'll not only pay more, but you'll also be limited to what they sell, which is often low end equipment. It's very easy to purchase a "highly recommended" piece of equipment from a LFS.

Dave K- Get to know the guys at the LFS, and buy from them over 10 years, and they will order anything you want. Mine went so far as to match the internet's prices.

"...they will order anything you want". That's the whole thing in a nutshell. If I order via the net, I get it in a few days. If I order via my LFS it takes weeks, especially if it's a product not usually carried by their suppliers.

You are extremely lucky in that you have a LFS that will meet internet prices for you. Most can not. I don't blame the LFS. It's a lot more expensive to run a retail store than a warehouse that simple ships the order. For example, if I want that new lighting fixture and the price via the net is going to be, lets say $1000, and the LFS only charges 10% more, it's still $100 out of my pocket. It's not that the LFS is ripping me off, but $100 is $100.

As a sidebar, I can only think of a few LFSs that have been in business 10 years. Most of the ones near me have opened and closed like clam shells. Some of them were poor stores and deserved to go bust. Others were good, but expensive. Others were just unlucky.

You are shopping at the wrong stores. My LFS ordered me a Solaris at internet prices; I got it in a week. A refugium I wanted, at internet prices, got it in 3 days...

Definately doesn't take weeks if you order at an LFS. If anything they get it faster and they don't charge a shipping charge. AquaticObsessions has ordered me alot of items and he gets his shipments every week. Depending on what day you order, like the day he's putting his order in, you can even have somethings next day. Even if you catch him the day after he'll have it in less than a week.