• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

biopellet reactors

So im torn between the TLF and the Reef Octopus bio pellet reactors.

Anyone have any experience with these? There is a huge price difference but I just want to make sure I get the right one.

I am going to tag along here was thinking the same thing was going to order the tlf150 I know a lot of people over on the redseamax forums run them.....

I bought a Reef Octopus BR-110, and added an Eheim 2000 Compact+ pump. Works great, the reactor is a real bullet proof device, I have the pump set to it's lowest setting - 265 gph.

ive been using tlf reactor for a year with no problem just get extra clamps for all connections, also has good distrabution as long as its level

I am going to tag along here was thinking the same thing was going to order the tlf150 I know a lot of people over on the redseamax forums run them.....

So far heres the information I got:

250ml per 50 gallons: Im running a 75 with about 85-90 gallons of total volume so I need around 425 ml of pellets. Obviously I wont add this all at once.

With a TLF 150 I've heard you dont want to put more than 300ml at max to get the best "tumble" so it looks like that wont be good for me.

If I upgraded to a 550 I've heard its tougher to get a good tumble going.

Im teeing off a mag 9.5 and have pleenty of room to open it up so flows not going to be a problem.

I bought a Reef Octopus BR-110, and added an Eheim 2000 Compact+ pump. Works great, the reactor is a real bullet proof device, I have the pump set to it's lowest setting - 265 gph.

Thanks Jim,

I keep getting the feeling that the octo is the way to go but just want to make sure. How big is your tank again?

ive been using tlf reactor for a year with no problem just get extra clamps for all connections, also has good distrabution as long as its level

What size tank and reactor are you using?

Is there a reason why you haven't considered a cheaper solution for the volume you have? I have not researched it much at all, but for the BRS GB I was going to pick up the dual-reactor they have (80 with MJ1200). I spoke with BRS today and they said their GFO/Carbon reactors will take pellets as well. They just said that you can't run the pellets and GFO/Carbon at the same time (if dual reactor) due to flow requirements. I figured it would allow me to use carbon/gfo to clean out my hair algae (maybe) and then try some type of media after.

They also have a single that is classified as pellets, but it seems to be the exact same except it does not come with pads..
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...o-pellet-reactors/brs-bio-pellet-reactor.html

im using there pellets t'd off my mag 12, you do need to use more flow than they say. i can get about 400ml in and still have good tumble

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have two TLF 150's here. I'm running about 200mL of TLF NPX pellets in each reactor (55 & 80 gallon total system volume). BRS pellet "canisters" from what I've read from people that have them is, they have some flow issues and are prone to clogging if not cleaned every few months.

Is there a reason why you haven't considered a cheaper solution for the volume you have? I have not researched it much at all, but for the BRS GB I was going to pick up the dual-reactor they have (80 with MJ1200). I spoke with BRS today and they said their GFO/Carbon reactors will take pellets as well. They just said that you can't run the pellets and GFO/Carbon at the same time (if dual reactor) due to flow requirements. I figured it would allow me to use carbon/gfo to clean out my hair algae (maybe) and then try some type of media after.

They also have a single that is classified as pellets, but it seems to be the exact same except it does not come with pads..
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...o-pellet-reactors/brs-bio-pellet-reactor.html

I did consider these reactors but after thinking about it I just cant see it working all that well for pellets. If I was doing Carbon and GFO then it would be a no brainer for me.

everyone says there is a difference - but i'm not sure if that is just marketing. A carbon source should in theory all be the same...whether you use vodka or biopellets. But i leave that discussion to the Jedi as I am but a padawan in these matters.

As long as the pellets are Polyhydroxyalkanoates, or PHA, it doesn't matter what name is on the label. BRS are these pellets, and I'm sure they're a re-label, as well as many of their other products.

lol,

Thanks for the helps guys, i think im going to just get the 110, make one purchase and be done with it!

I did consider these reactors but after thinking about it I just cant see it working all that well for pellets. If I was doing Carbon and GFO then it would be a no brainer for me.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you think that? Is it just for your volume or in general?

So, my understanding is that pellets are frowned upon by some because they cost more/they probably have a lot of carbon/gfo lying around, but it seems like pellets last longer than both of those and one pellet may replace both carbon and gfo for a PO4 solution? I don't want to spend money on something that is obsolete..

I've seen some good things about the Warners as well and according to Amazon:

"EcoBAK ULNS Pellets are a unique and revolutionary probiotic product that will change the way marine and reef aquariums are maintained. EcoBAK is a biodegradable polymer that serves as a stable and consistent organic Carbon food source and substrate for bacterial strains that consume organic compounds including Phosphate and Nitrate. In effect, ecoBAK reduces nuisance algae, clarifies water and supplies Planktonic bacteria as a food source for corals in the reef aquarium."