• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BioPellet Refill.....

So i have been running BioPellets now for about 4 weeks and have noticed the volume in the reactor is lower than when I started, by about 1/4. Should I be looking to refill them back up to the original level or is it fine to wait until its less than half. Just trying to understand people's experiences with this.

Thanks
Jeff

After only 4 weeks I don't think you should notice that big a drop.. How fast are you tumbling them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’m new at this as well and just ramped up to my full “dose.” A 25 percent loss of pellets in four weeks seems excessive. What were you initial nitrate/phosphate numbers when you started? And where are they now?

Loosing a quarter of the pellets within four weeks makes this a very expensive means of reducing nitrates/phosphates. I could purchase a BRS dosing pump and dose expensive top-shelf vodka for less.

I can't tell you exactly how much I used in the first four weeks, since I was still ramping up at that time. I can tell you I use about 1,000mL per year. I don't fill the reactor, an RO BR 110, more than half way, and will refill it when it's down to about 1/3 full(when idle). I think the rate at which the pellets will be consumed will depend on what other methods you employ to deal with your N's and P's. Mine work in concert with my LR, and a DSB, so I think my consumption may be lower than someone with a similar sized system that has a BB for example. In short, your mileage may vary depending on other factors.

Due to a faulty Elos test kit (don't get me started will never use their kits again) my Nitrates were off the charts. My tumble may have been a little bit excessive but has definitely calmed down as the pellets have lost all of their buoyancy. The loss could also be attributed to that factor as well since they do seem more compact now compared to when i started them. My nitrates now are much lower so it has helped.