• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Biopellets & UV

Just wondering if anyone out there that has had success with biopellets is also using a UV light?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't run UV, but my neighbor does with his biopellets. He tested religiously during start up, and his nitrates and phosphates went way down (nitrate went from 40 down to 5), so I'd say the uv didn't impact the efficacy of the pellets. I can't see that UV does much at all in my anecdotal experience.

I don't run UV, but my neighbor does with his biopellets. He tested religiously during start up, and his nitrates and phosphates went way down (nitrate went from 40 down to 5), so I'd say the uv didn't impact the efficacy of the pellets. I can't see that UV does much at all in my anecdotal experience.

I really have no reason for the uv light but I was wondering(unless it kills cyno) I always thought it was counter productive with the bio pellets bacteria.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Uv sterilizers only kill free floating organisms. For the uv to kill something it must pass through it. I'm not positive but I do not think a uv will help with cyano

Uv sterilizers only kill free floating organisms. For the uv to kill something it must pass through it. I'm not positive but I do not think a uv will help with cyano

Yea I didn't think it would. Lol everyone would own one

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you are having a cyano problem, you might want to look into dosing MicroBacter7. I dosed this when my tank was having cyano issues and It was quickly resolved in a couple of weeks. You might also want to try CoralSnow into the mix like Sunny does to keep cyano at bay. I ordered myself some CoralSnow in the group buy when I found that out. LOL

If you are having a cyano problem, you might want to look into dosing MicroBacter7. I dosed this when my tank was having cyano issues and It was quickly resolved in a couple of weeks. You might also want to try CoralSnow into the mix like Sunny does to keep cyano at bay. I ordered myself some CoralSnow in the group buy when I found that out. LOL

My cyno problem is pretty small all in all. I have been using coral snow for some time now. I only have been using it at about 1/4 dose thou. The last 2 times I dosed I did as the instructions state. I ordered zeobac with the group buy, but since we have not gotten it I went out and bought microbac7 and have been letting it sit with the coral snow over night. Hopefully that will clear up it in no time.

Still trying to find my biopellets sweet spot. I am currently taking some out because I feel it is stripping my water to clean(and causing some cyno). I still have some corals fading, I may try to feed even more but I don't want that feeding the cyno.

I was also thinking about turning down the intensity of my leds lights to help with the fading. Seen someone post something about that. Maybe dnov99, not sure