• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blackcap Baslett

I recently bought the above for my 75 reef. I drip acclimated into the tank and never saw him for 7 days now. The tank has alot of rock and I know they are deep reef dwelling fish. Hoever, its just bizarre that I have not seen a glimpse of him/her.the only other fish in the tank are a six line(small) and one percula clown. No vicious inverts either. No sign of death or body parts and the tank is closed tight.
A real perplexing mystery.

Does anyone have one of these and has yours disappeared???
Thanks mates.

Hello, welcome to NJRC.

The 6line wrasse can be pretty agressive. If your fish is infact alive then there is a good chance that the 6line is harrassing the blackcap bas and he's hiding as to avoid the harrasment. Just my guess.

Mike, I thought of that but the sixline is somewhat small. Oh well, I guess I will just keep looking for a body..
Thanks

I got one about 8 months ago. The first 6 months I saw it about 12 times total, gave it up for dead many times. Now I see it everyday at feeding times and every once in a while it will just come out for a short swim, never more than a foot or so from it's cave. It actually made it's home in the caves beneath my BTAS.

Wow, I am quite shocked and thanks for your experience. I have yet to see this guy for 10 days in my 75. Lots of places to hide though.Given its coloration, I had hoped to at least catch a fleeting glimpse. So far not a sighting. I will be on the lookout .Thansk for the imput. Stay tuned.

When I switched over from my 65 to the 180 I had not seen it for a while and thought it was dead. I started removing rocks and there it was. I actually saw him in the middle of the tank today, my wife wouldn't believe I've had him for 8 months. She was giving me crap for getting another fish.