• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blue dotted jawfish jumps into overflow

Tank is 120 and this overflow is not easy to reach. It's 2' down. I can see it near the bottom but the only net have that fits down there, even with a makeshift handle extended I still can't reach it or catch it. I have the returns out of the filter cups just in case, but any suggestions? Thanks

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Assuming this is a conventional overflow with a durso, turn off your return pump and if possible, put a net at the end of the drain pipe, and now pull out the durso. The fish will "flush" down the pipe towards your sump and end up in the net.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
+1 with Paul. Had a goby do that a couple times in my 120 and flushed him into the sump.
After a bit I started to think it was doing it cuz it liked the ride.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
get filter floss. tie string to both ends. push floss down. goby will go on top of floss. pull floss up

radiata

NJRC Member
I've rescued fish from my overflows by pouring sand into those overflows. Any fish is thus forced to move up the column (but the solution offered by [B]DELxCMB[/B] might work just as well). After any of my rescues, I've left the sand in the overflows, hoping for some biological nitrate removal as a result.