• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blue Life Clear Fx Pro - Thoughts?

Anyone used it?

Good results? No Results?

Any experiences or thoughts on this product?

It claims to be a 3-fold system that includes a GFO, GAC, and a nitrate binder all in one "bag".

Interested to see if anyone has used it and what their experience/results are?

I remember reading a post where someone tried it and posted daily of results. I cant seem to find it but it apparently worked better. I think they claim that it works as good as purigen or cpe but the only difference is the shape in the beads. They will not stick to each other and are specfically fabricated so that water can flow through them easily thus getting more use of every single bead then you would with cpe or purigen. I plan on getting once my cpe runs out and giving it a whirl.

Looks interesting. I'll try to find it and give it a go on my new build since I'm not gonna have reactors right away. I'll give a full review.

Just gotta find it. Seems like amazon is the only place. Regular availability could be an issue.

I just ordered 1.

If I get results from it, I'll definitely pick it up and carry it. I can get it from one of my suppliers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

Clear Fx Pro should be here today.

I will do my best to document it's implementation and use and see if it has any results at all.

Im def interested. I'm gonna start out with no reactors anyway. Plus I was considering running GAC passively anyway. Looking forward to the review.

Last edited:
Well, the Clear Fx Pro has arrived.

So, it was time for my weekly water change anyway.

The tank is a 30 gallon long with a 15 gallon custom sump. So it's running about 40 gallons of water on my best guess.

Some testing:

Salinity 1.026
Temp 80
PH 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate <10 ppm (keep in mind, this is probably a skewed number due to the hair algae)
Calcium ~450
Mag ~1400
Alk ~9

Did a 10 gallon water change today (which is probably about 20% give or take)

Water change water tested at 1.026, ph 8.2, nitrates 0, temp 80.

I do not test for phosphates, as liquid titration tests are extremely inaccurate at these levels, and when you see the pictures, you will see it is relatively pointless, and kind of obvious anyway.

So, I took some before pictures (these pictures are approximately 10 days after last water change/harvesting)

Full Shot (don't laugh! It's a science experiment! :p

DSC00222.jpg

Left Side

DSC00223.jpg

Right Side

DSC00224.jpg

Now, in the interest of "yes, I've done everything I can", here's a couple shots of my jbj nano 12 gallon. Which, btw, uses the same ro/di water, the same salt mix, and often, water changes are done with the same vat of salt water mix, and top off comes from the same bucket of ro/di water. Additionally, rock in the nano is from the same previous source tank as the rock in the 30 gallon. The nano also runs the bio balls in the back, and has no skimmer. It tests perfectly, with nitrates also being <10ppm. What I do NOT do is take ANYTHING from that 30 and put it into ANY of the other tanks, just for fear that the HA will take hold in more than one tank.

JBJ Nano 12 gallon DLX

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Today, I harvested the hair algae until my fingers couldn't take it anymore, did a 10 gallon water change, changed out the filter sock to a fresh one, cleaned out the skimmer cup, and cranked it up a bit to run wetter than normal.

I added the Clear FX Pro directly under the discharge of the protein skimmer, as the instructions state to place it in a high flow area of the sump.

So I will keep my eyes on everything, and update this thread regularly.

Stay Tuned! We shall see!!

Upon taking it out of package what were your thoughts, as compared to say CPE. I read somewhere that said rinsing was minimal if needed at all. True? Also did you run anything comparable on this tank prior to this?

Upon taking it out of package what were your thoughts, as compared to say CPE. I read somewhere that said rinsing was minimal if needed at all. True? Also did you run anything comparable on this tank prior to this?

Taking it out of the package, it is in a mesh bag clamped shut at the top.

The instructions do say rinse lightly for about 20 seconds.

So I did rinse it lightly, with my hand under the bag, little to no residue/dust appeared to come off the bag at all.

Nothing comparable has been run in this tank.

The only thing I will say is this: I have a half bucket of GAC that is OLD. THIS is the only tank that was exposed to this GAC. It is now my thought that something saturated this GAC over it's storage time, and has caused this outbreak in the first place, as I have multiple common denominators to the other tanks, and not a trace of HA in either of the other 2 tanks, just this one.

I don't dose anything. The only thing I've ever done to this tank was run the skimmer, run a filter sock, and water changes. And of course, the carbon mentioned above.

I also fed Rod's Food up until about 3 months ago, at which time I suspended all frozen foods, and went to just a small pinch of flake every 2 or 3 days.

Oh, I also have a small refugium in the sump that holds rock rubble and a mix of feather calerpa and chaeto (which actually originated from Adesimone1's sump, so I know that is not the source of the algae, as their tanks are SPOTLESS). No sand in the refugium, it is just a home made egg crate basket that holds the macro algae and rock rubble.

It also has a compact fluorescent light over it that runs a 6500 kelvin bulb on an opposite light cycle to the main lights. (kelvin tests with the Seneye unit show the light to still be putting off 6300 to 6500 kelvin, roughly)

Well, the Clear Fx Pro has arrived.

So, it was time for my weekly water change anyway.

The tank is a 30 gallon long with a 15 gallon custom sump. So it's running about 40 gallons of water on my best guess.

Some testing:

Salinity 1.026
Temp 80
PH 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate <10 ppm (keep in mind, this is probably a skewed number due to the hair algae)
Calcium ~450
Mag ~1400
Alk ~9

Did a 10 gallon water change today (which is probably about 20% give or take)

Water change water tested at 1.026, ph 8.2, nitrates 0, temp 80.

I do not test for phosphates, as liquid titration tests are extremely inaccurate at these levels, and when you see the pictures, you will see it is relatively pointless, and kind of obvious anyway.

So, I took some before pictures (these pictures are approximately 10 days after last water change/harvesting)

Full Shot (don't laugh! It's a science experiment! :p

View attachment 3823

Left Side

View attachment 3824

Right Side

View attachment 3825

Now, in the interest of "yes, I've done everything I can", here's a couple shots of my jbj nano 12 gallon. Which, btw, uses the same ro/di water, the same salt mix, and often, water changes are done with the same vat of salt water mix, and top off comes from the same bucket of ro/di water. Additionally, rock in the nano is from the same previous source tank as the rock in the 30 gallon. The nano also runs the bio balls in the back, and has no skimmer. It tests perfectly, with nitrates also being <10ppm. What I do NOT do is take ANYTHING from that 30 and put it into ANY of the other tanks, just for fear that the HA will take hold in more than one tank.

JBJ Nano 12 gallon DLX

View attachment 3826

View attachment 3827

Today, I harvested the hair algae until my fingers couldn't take it anymore, did a 10 gallon water change, changed out the filter sock to a fresh one, cleaned out the skimmer cup, and cranked it up a bit to run wetter than normal.

I added the Clear FX Pro directly under the discharge of the protein skimmer, as the instructions state to place it in a high flow area of the sump.

So I will keep my eyes on everything, and update this thread regularly.

Stay Tuned! We shall see!!

hey Matt that green & purple tipped frogspawn in the nanocube12. did you by any chance win that at the last meet @ Anthony & Terri's?

hey Matt that green & purple tipped frogspawn in the nanocube12. did you by any chance win that at the last meet @ Anthony & Terri's?

I didn't, but my friend Karen did. Her tank is still in my basement waiting for her remodel to be finished, so I'm housing it for her.

Ok, so here we are 24 hours later, and while I didn't expect to have anything to report for quite some time, I must say 2 things have made me take notice.

1: The water is SIGNIFICANTLY clearer than it was yesterday. The difference in water clarity is actually noticeable. I would attribute that to the GAC, but at least the GAC they are using is obviously of a decent quality.

2: The normal surface "film" that i would see forming in the back left corner of the tank at the surface of the water is gone. There is absolutely no trace of anything collecting on the surface of the water at all.

Obviously, there is no noticeable difference in hair algae yet, it hasn't been in the tank nearly long enough for that, but just the fact that there are 2 things that have noticeably improved in just 24 hours gives me hope for this product.

Stay tuned.