• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blues only

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Anyone running blues only on their LEDs? Thinking about doing it most of the day for my zoa/lps tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Mags I'm running almost all blues on my LEDs (first step towards white on the Kessil color wheel) and that's it. Blue only in the frag tank. I'm making up the difference with two actinic, and two super actinic T5s. I'm getting the visuals I want to see, but almost no whites. I'm not running any red or green from the LED.

I did this on @hcker99 suggestion and it's worked out nicely.

Dave

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have no facts behind me but knowing a little about light. I do know corals look better under blues but I still think you need some 'white' light. 'white' light isn't white but a mix of all the colors. Corals use photosynthesis to help grow so I would assume they benifit from the full spectrum not just the blues.

If I had time/money/and the know how I would love to do an experiment with running three tanks that everything the same but the lighting colors. 1 all white, 1 all blue, and then 1 cycle between. Now that just my two cents on the subject matter for what it maybe worth.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
I have no facts behind me but knowing a little about light. I do know corals look better under blues but I still think you need some 'white' light. 'white' light isn't white but a mix of all the colors. Corals use photosynthesis to help grow so I would assume they benifit from the full spectrum not just the blues.

If I had time/money/and the know how I would love to do an experiment with running three tanks that everything the same but the lighting colors. 1 all white, 1 all blue, and then 1 cycle between. Now that just my two cents on the subject matter for what it maybe worth.
From what I've heard and read in forums, is that a lot of vendors run blues because that is what gets the best growth.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
From what I've heard and read in forums, is that a lot of vendors run blues because that is what gets the best growth.

I was under the impression they mainly ran blues to bring the colors out. As I stated I have no facts behind me just going off what I know about light

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Zooxanthellae has the highest absorption rate between 400 - 480 nm. Within that range is pretty much everything a coral needs for photosynthesis. The higher the wavelength the less abortion. So most quality LED's or fluorescent bulbs will offer options in this range. The reason MH still to this day does an amazing job growing corals is most quality bulbs have a high level of uv radiation. UV is around 380-420 nm.