• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Boater folks - advice please...

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, looking at a small, simple, family deck boat. Decided on a Bayliner m15, fits the bill and can be parked easily in the drive.
Question before I get into this...

The boat is small enough that it will easily park in my drive (and comes with a galvaniazed trailer).
I can access a number of public ramps in the area, or I can use marina launches for $20-50 a shot.
I did look into slip rental, and they're a bit pricey, though I have found a few for around $1200-1500 for the year.
Having never launched a boat from a trailer I have no idea how tough or time consuming it is.
Assuming we go out 4-6 times a month, is renting a slip worth it?

Last edited:
Mark,
Last summer was my first season as a boater, I started from scratch and having no idea about pulling or backing up with a trailer but practice makes perfection.

I live like 3 to 5 minutes from the lake (Lake Hopatcong) and honestly I don’t mind launching bringing my boat back home every time we want to put it in the water.

A lot of people says that if you have your boat at a slip you will definitely use it more, again in my case I don’t mind.

Don’t be afraid buddy, having a boat is so much fun!!!
Best of luck.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ask your local marina if they have in and out service. You keep your boat on your trailer in their yard. Call them an hour ahead of time and they put your boat in the water. When done leave a sign in your boat or park in a designated area and just leave it there. They pull it out and put it back on the trailer. It will take you a season to get used to trailering it. I keep mine in a slip. A lot of people keep it in slips just to go to boat after work and hang out with other boaters. And can go out any time. If you have any questions, just ask. I've had boats for 50 years. Each of your options has their goods and bads. The scariest thing for a beginner and trailering is (besides backing up) forgetting to put the drain plug back in. On a trailer, you take the drain plug out after each use so the rain doesn't fill the engine compartment and ruin the motor. Most beginners forget to put plug back in before getting to the ramp. I had to jump in the water only once to put my plug in before boat went under water. Good luck any way you decide.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
My family has had a sailboat as long as I have been alive. My dad keeps it in a slip because putting a 34 foot sailboat on a trailer might be a bit difficult. However, where he keeps his boat there is a free ramp so I get to witness people bringing boats in and out. As Mike mentioned above (also hey Mike, glad to see you on here), my dad hangs out at the slip and it becomes a social club for those around even if you don't launch your boat every day or weekend. There is also a public launch so I see people launch boats all day long and it seems you kind of need two people when launching the boat, one for the boat one for the car. Also parking the car with the trailer after launching can be difficult depending if the facility has big enough parking spots. Boating makes the reefing hobby look cheap in comparison so don't think you are ever going to do it on the cheap.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Mark,
Last summer was my first season as a boater, I started from scratch and having no idea about pulling or backing up with a trailer but practice makes perfection.

I live like 3 to 5 minutes from the lake (Lake Hopatcong) and honestly I don’t mind launching bringing my boat back home every time we want to put it in the water.

A lot of people says that if you have your boat at a slip you will definitely use it more, again in my case I don’t mind.

Don’t be afraid buddy, having a boat is so much fun!!!
Best of luck.
Did you watch the fireworks from the water last year?

erics210

NJRC Member
I have a 15 foot Vhaul, nothing fancy. BUT for as often as I use it, makes no sense to get a slip. Trailering is easy enough. First time launching is always fun...
boat.jpg

erics210

NJRC Member
Eric,
1st time I tried I did it 2nd attempt, lol.
Depends on the vehicle too. For me using my 2006 Dodge Ram was soooo much easier than the 86 VW Jetta. Every little movement with the Jetta would create significant turns.

just remember to put the plug if you have one, remove the retaining straps,so you do t just flood the boat, and have a way to retrieve/secure the boat once you get it floating via either a rope, someone in the boat, or remote motors…

also have someone assist with how far your vehicle is in the water when backing up. Be careful with lower cars.

most common big mistakes you can do.

Another super courtesy is have your supplies and equipment out of the trailering vehicle and on the boat or dock ready to roll. Dont waste others time doing that stuff

someone also mentioned the Boaters Safety course. I think you can do online now. I did the basic course when first offered.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks for the replies folks. Got a bit to ponder on. I may just do the trailer this year and decide on a slip next year, but going to look at that drop in service thing, like the sound of it.
Per towing, I’m in a Ridgeline (pickup), so shouldnt be too much of a concern. Going to bring Carla to the dealer today and we’ll see where it goes from there.
Per courses, its been a long time. I was USCG 30 years back so I’m a bit rusty. Plan on doing the safety course as well as a refresher course on piloting and general deck skills.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Lets remember a boat is a fiberglass lined hole in the water where you throw your money into.
Yeah. I already have a water filled hole in my living room I do that with.

Last edited:

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's a great first boat. But, just like a fish tank, you will want bigger in a few years. Or maybe a bathroom for the kids, then get tired of keeping up with the leather every year...lol
Another expense every year is getting it winterized in winter and un-winterized when ready to use. My 26 footer was about $1200 a season, but that had a kitchen and bath and outside shower to winterize. Yours should be less then half that price to fog the engine and get it ready for winter. If you keep it in a wet slip, you will also have to power-wash it after the season. You will meet a lot of great people at the marina which will be happy to help with anything you'll need. I'm also around for any questions. Boating is an experience that will bring a lot of happiness for you and the family for a long time.
A word of advice... Have a light breakfast before going out on a boat. My wife always told our kids not to eat in case they get sea sick. They listened and got sick a few times. I found this out and made them eat before. Now they always eat and never got sick again. Also keep a bottle of dreammine with you just in case. Not sure of the spelling but its for sea sickness.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My wife wanted a boat. So I walked into the bathroom with her pulled out my wallet and threw bills into the toilet and flushed. Then walked out.

After going on a boat 2 years ago she dropped this idea. Was not a pleasant time. Sometimes prayer do get answered.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
That's a great first boat. But, just like a fish tank, you will want bigger in a few years.
Thanks Mike. Thats where we're at. I had edited a post with details of the boat, but I'll repost below.
i considered going bigger, but the 17' or better adds about 10k to the price (and the need to find a place to park it). If the family hates it, there's a concern, but the m15, especially with the deck layout, is more than adequate for now for me and my son and will easily fit in our drive/garage.

Its a Bayliner m15 deck boat as said. Small, but good for a family of 4 and 1 or 2 guests.
2 could easily spend the day fishing/cruising, even as a family we should be comfy for most of a day. With guests and the space filling, were probably still good for a few hours out.
Base is 16k. Loaded (Mercury 50hp 4 stroke, auto bilge pump, Jensen stereo, bimini top, galvanized trailer, rubber decks, winter cover, ski/tow pole, daybed, depth finder, etc) is 22k.
Military discount and sale brings it down to 21k. Financing is offered at 6% over 10 years, though we'd pay it off much quicker (3-5 years).
Dealer offered me a complete 5 year bow to stern repair package, from a trailer flat tire to a full engine replacement, parts and labor 100% covered.
Told that if I driveway it for the first year or two and store it in the garage, the biggest expense (outside of rinse off and launch/recovery time) is a seasonal oil/lube/filters/plugs, which should run between $150-200.
Seems a bit too good to be true.
We'd look forward to the marina/social life in a year or two, once we settle in.

Last edited:

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like a great boat. I would get Geico Ins on it. Cost is about 400 a year for yours. It comes with free towing which you won't need for a few years but down by you, theres a lot of sand barges at low tide and towboat would come get you unstuck for free. And god forbid if someone hit your boat or got any damage from a storm or something, it's worth it.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would download the BoatUs app for your phone. It gives you the weather, tides and can call for a tow from it and it gives towboat your exact location.