• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Boater folks - advice please...

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Keep it in the water, you will use it much more than trailering it, even if you have to drive to a marina to get on it. The more you use it, the more comfortable you will be operating a vessel and the more fun you’ll have.

If you’re ever down my area in the summer while you’re trailering it we got some bangin sandbar spots to enjoy :)

BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand
If you want to know about docking or unloading a boat just go to Youtube and watch Alfred Montaneer/Chit Show, Yes Chit with a C. He films people trying to unload their boats at Black Point Marina dow in Florida. Absolutely hilarious! Probably make you think twice about buying a boat.

horseplay

NJRC Member
For $1500 a summer, I would keep it in a marina. I own a Nacra catamaran (like a hobie cat). It’s kept on a beach owned by a club. I can go out after work on a whim and sail a few hours before dark. I would not do that if I had to trailer it and launch it all the time. Make it easily accessible will greatly increase the enjoyment.

Money wise I think it’s like any other hobby, it all depends how much and how good you are with DIY projects.
In my case again last summer was my first season and now there’s a lot of stuff I learned how to do it myself.
I really enjoy DIY projects and most of the time I see them like a challenge to myself.
My boat is an old 20 ft. Chaparral bow riders with an outboard 150hp v6 Evinrude motor.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Well, my local dealer wants 24,800 for it, though the boat lists for 22,800 delivered and ready to go.
I found another marina about an hour drive north that has the boat at the recommended MSRP of 22,800 (with an additional ski-tow pole).
Waiting to hear back from them.
Right now focusing on clearing all rotating debt by July, so the boat isn't the top priority now.
I may hold off till September, where there's a HUGE boat show locally, to see what deals I can score.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Better to have your plan in place cause as you see, there's a lot of other expense that go with it.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ha, 26’ is way big, I’m looking for a garage parker the m15 has <8’ draft. Per boat, the expenses arent that bad on a 15’, low slip fee, plus new its got a full 5 year stem to stern, 7 year on the Merc, its only a 60hp so low annual maint, and through USAA I get full coverage with tow for under $200 annual.
The pricing seems like a car dealer, I’ll play them off for a round or two and see what happens. No rush.